Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2011 :  11:12:54 AM  Show Profile
Pilar Stevens, (retasos2, #2498) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level "Out There" Women badge.

"I put together a hiking pack for the family. We have a couple of hiking paths we will visit this year.

Aside from all the "emergency kit" stuff I also included granola, trail mix and chocolate."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2011 :  11:28:09 AM  Show Profile
Patty Byrd, (Thebyrdhaus, #1840) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Going Green badge.

"I have made my own cleaners and shared the experience and recipes on my blog. http://ladygonegreen.blogspot.com/2011/07/healthy-and-green-living.html

I love the cleaners. Air healthy for my asthma!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2011 :  11:47:14 AM  Show Profile
Katrina Tylee, (KatTylee, #3214) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I have the basics collected. My favorite thing in my sewing kit is my dad's knitting basket that I got when he died a couple months ago, and my great-grandmother's pin keeper. Now I just need to continue collecting thread colors and weights.

By using the basket from my dad I now have everything pretty well contained. All my machine needles etc. are in an old Singer box. Someday I hope to get a treadle machine."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2011 :  11:59:39 AM  Show Profile
Katrina Tylee, (KatTylee, #3214) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Quilting badge.

"I decided last winter I would make my son a blanket from my old t-shirts. Between my husband and I we had several that were not being worn anymore but still had some sentimental value and plenty of life left in them. So I made a t-shirt quilt. My goal was to not have to buy anything new to make the quilt.

Well, I had to buy the batting and blanket edging new. But I did find the back side of my quilt as scrap fabric from the thrift store. It was a perfectly sized sweat pant material. Nice and soft. The quilt turned out just a hair smaller than twin sized. Perfect for a 3 year old. And he loves his airplane blanket (all the t-shirts had airplanes on them). The photo is just before I finished the quilt with the satin blanket edging."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2011 :  12:13:54 PM  Show Profile
Katrina Tylee, (KatTylee, #3214) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"I've been slowly converting to greener cleaners. Awhile back I switched to olive oil and lemon juice for my furniture polish and now I'm in the process of switching from fabric softener to vinegar.

My husband asked me how I got our coffee and end tables to look so good after I had polished them with the olive oil mix. :) He couldn't believe it when I told him. Now if I can just get him to use the vinegar in the Downy ball and use the clothes line. He loves the dryer, but I'm working on that because I love the line dried clothes. Not to mention the power saved by not running the dryer in the summer. I'm still a wimp about line drying in the winter."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2011 :  12:22:55 PM  Show Profile
Elizabeth Baker, (woolgirl, #1947) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge.

"I have been so inspired by the pretty dishcloths the wonderful ladies make, so I decided to try my hand at it. I took a crochet lesson from a wonderful girl at a cute little shop here, and have been turning out dishcloths in my downtime!

I love the granny square pattern!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2011 :  12:29:48 PM  Show Profile
Michelle Praught, (meshako, #3074) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level Disconnect to Reconnect badge.

"Actually, this badge was really easy to complete. I really only use the computer for the sisterhood. I don't have a TV, I don't own a cell phone and I don't listen to the radio much. The phone and stereo were a little more difficult since I use them more often. I just didn't listen to music and didn't answer my phone.

It was very relaxing to shut out the outside world, and luckily I didn't miss any important calls."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2011 :  12:35:08 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson, (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Heirlooms Forever! badge.

"Last year we replaced about 5% or more of our seeds with heirloom seeds.

I enjoyed reading "Gardening with Heirloom Seeds" and plan to borrow that book from our library again soon."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2011 :  12:38:33 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson, (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an intermediate level Heirlooms Forever! badge.

"This summer, we replaced over 25% of our garden with heirloom seeds, and also bought heirloom Redbud tree seeds.

I have read several books from our library on how to save seeds."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2011 :  1:17:39 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson, (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an expert level Bustin' Out badge.

"We have tried new organic foods for a few years now, including growing them in our own garden.

I have encouraged several extended families and friends to eat organic foods. I often take "care packages" to town and share with others."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2011 :  1:41:01 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson, (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an expert level Forage for Food badge.

"I continue to hunt and cook with foraged foods. I have made dandelion coffee, dandelion jelly, wild black raspberry jam and jelly, and now we have tried milkweed.

We missed our mushroom hunt this summer, but will have another next year. I often take the the kids and my husband, and walk (hunt) around the property. We identify and search out foods we can eat. Our recent adventure was baking a Crustless Milkweed Flower Quiche. I purchased a book to help identify plants.

As a child my mother made us dandelion fritters but at the time I did not like them. I've come along way since then."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2011 :  2:04:56 PM  Show Profile
Gail Marla Solorzano, (marla97015, #3152) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Gratitude badge.

"I have been doing a prayer journal, so I changed my form to begin each day's entry with what I was thankful for. I never repeated the same thing twice and have not run out of things yet. This is a habit I plan to continue.

If you asked me before, I would say I was a grateful person, but this taught me to be specific and to really look inside, each morning. It was an amazing month. I plan to continue doing this each day. I do not have a picture of the journal. I am still learning how to use my new digital camara."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2011 :  2:26:08 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson, (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level ChillOver ComeOver badge.

"I purchased MaryJane's Farm ChillOver Powder a few months ago.

We looked over recipes in the magazines, on-line and in the Ideabook. We first made Giggle Wiggles. We simply cut them into squares."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2011 :  2:59:52 PM  Show Profile
Stephanie Arend, (Thumper, #3005) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"My mother was an avid sewer. When she passed away last year, I discovered that she had multiples of many sewing tools, including boxes of buttons, thread, scissors, etc. I wanted to share some of her sewing tools with her 10 grandchildren. I had my sisters come over for the day and we made sewing boxes with crafting paper and notions, filling them with Mom's sewing notions.

Each of the sewing boxes are unique, both in appearance and in what they contain. However, each box contains all the basics: needles, pins, white and black thread, a cutting tool, buttons and pincushion. I am attaching photos of the boxes I made."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2011 :  3:22:44 PM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating, #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner and intermediate level First Aid badge.

"Ok, I now have first-aid kits for bathroom, kitchen and car, only mine also include a bottle of lavender essential oil. I carry this in my purse and have a bottle on every level of my house too. If you ever get stung by a bee, wasp or hornet, put some on immediately and it will take the pain away within five minutes.

Lavender Oil is one of the few essential oils that can be used what is called "neet", which means directly on the body without a carrier oil. It takes the swelling away fairly soon and also takes the redness away and will leave you with a slight itch instead. It's also good for mosquito bites, but takes a lot longer.

I also have two fire extinguishers, one in my kitchen and one upstairs, and I have notes on my calendar to check the smoke alarms twice a year when the time changes, although I may switch to the equinoxes since they have extended the Daylight Savings time so much. The equinoxes would be six months apart and therefore more even.

As a massage therapist, I had to be certified in CPR when I graduated from Massage School in 2005. You have to be re-certified every five years, which I did July 5, 2010 for Continuing Education Units, 25 hours of which are required every two years for my profession.

It was a good thing that I did, because they had changed what the protocol was for CPR, making it much easier without having to do so many breaths anymore. They discovered that the heart compression is more important, so that takes an important problem away, namely breathing for an unconscious person which will sooner or later cause the contents of their stomach to come up. That has turned off a lot of people to CPR."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2011 :  3:57:17 PM  Show Profile
Stephanie Arend, (Thumper, #3005) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Nellie Will-do badge.

"I braided a rug from wool.

I love it! The wool is soft and it is a lovely rug for my entry."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2011 :  4:03:45 PM  Show Profile
Stephanie Arend, (Thumper, #3005) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Get 'er Done badge.

"My friends Lesley and Joy and I spent a day at each other's home doing odd jobs. At Lesley's house we scrubbed the moss off her deck, weeded the flower beds and planted new flowers. At my house we weeded and planted. At Joy's house we cooked and hosted a party for her son's high school graduation. Time working at each home was 6 hours.

My mother always said that many hands make light work. She was right. We had a wonderful time together and really made an impact. We plan to continue work parties on a regular basis."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2011 :  4:10:37 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson, (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an intermediate level ChillOver ComeOver badge.

"We created a new Chillover recipe.

We looked over several recipes, and put together a Chillover Blueberry sherbet recipe. I posted the recipe link, to my blog, on a few forums. I also shared it with my chapter."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2011 :  4:17:49 PM  Show Profile
Paula Black, (Sheepless in Seattle, #2953) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Secret Life Of Bees badge.

"I watched the suggested vanishingbees.com movie trailer, and have planted Shasta Daisies, Lupine and Delphinium in my garden to attract bees. I also read The Secret Life of Bees.

I hadn't really ever given much thought to bees, except negative ones - don't get stung! I enjoyed the book. I appreciated its encouragement against "pulling back into doubt and small living," but instead to, "Get up from there and live like the glorious girl you are...and not just to love but to persist in love."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2011 :  5:11:52 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth, (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an intermediate level Farmgirl Spirit badge.

"I have been welcoming my new neighbors in Farmgirl Style! I have several good recipes for welcoming neighbors. Baking powder biscuits with homemade jam is a friendmaker! I also like to take Whole Wheat brownie pie and hot fudge sauce along with some locally made farmstead ice cream. Naturally I need to give a copy of my favorite magazine—MaryJane's Farm, as well as a copy of The Plaid Pages: Argyle Business and Organization Directory which has been put together by the newly formed Argyle Community Enhancement Team.

Sadly, I find that many people are a little suspicious of strangers showing up on their doorsteps. While they can't help but be appreciative of the gifts we bring, they sometimes seem leary of accepting them. I find that it is better to give people some time, making sure to introduce ourselves before we show up at their doors. Christmas time, however, seems to be a good time to take gifts to strangers. Perhaps the Christmas spirit has proven stronger than the isolation we have accepted among our neighbors...even in the northeast!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2011 :  5:10:33 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth, (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an expert level Farmgirl Spirit badge.

"I have carried my MaryJanesFarm “What's a Farmgirl” cards with me everywhere, always willing to offer them to a “kindred spirit” when I meet one. Since I have run out of them I offer a copy of the magazine, a card to subscribe to the magazine, or at the very least I will give the website address scratched on a scrap of paper. I attend farmer's markets, the fair, theater, art shows, library events, dance classes, and community wide yard sales ready to recruit sisters! This is how I gathered the ladies that make my chapter here in Argyle.

Since I always have my most recent copy of MaryJanesFarm magazine, it is easy for me to make my case for the sisterhood...I haven't met anyone who wasn't completely drawn in by the content!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2011 :  5:21:58 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth, (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an expert level Woman-at-Arms badge.

"I recently attended a Ladies Shoot hosted by our local Fish & Game club and supported by a number of local Rod & Gun clubs, as well as a number of other hunting, fishing, and sportsman's groups. The program was inspired by the attendance of mother's at the recent 4H Shooting Sports program. I was the only mom to take the course, but some other moms were encouraged to join the shooting events and gained confidence by my own participation. The support of all of the groups made it possible for all 31 of us ladies to attend the program for FREE!

The Ladies Shoot was an all-day event which included lunch and practice in five disciplines. Point twenty-two caliber target practice, archery (compound bows), black powder (percussion and center fire sabotted), .223 modern center-fire semi-automatic (louder than the black powder!), and 20 guage shotguns. Each of the disciplines included instruction, proper safety equipment, and lots of practice. The shotgun range included hunting simulations such as rabbits, geese and combination shots.

I did very well at each of the disciplines and even attracted the attention of the instructors. The .22 instructor shook my hand and told me I had the best kneeling shots he'd seen that day, and the shotgun instructors pitted me against the organizer of the event, a woman with many hours at the range but new to shotgunning...she beat me, but I didn't walk away ashamed!

It was fun to gather with women from all over the state, many of whom had some practice with firearms. Some of them owned handguns, some had shot when they were girls, some had husbands who hunted,= and they wanted to be able to join them. All of us had a grand time!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2011 :  5:33:00 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth, (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner and intermediate level Public Service badge.

"I have begun attending public meetings in my town. The first such meeting was an assembly of the Argyle Republican Committee. At this meeting I presented my desire to run for town clerk, along with two other candidates. I learned that town clerk is the only position with a “race” for the next election.

One issue that our town is currently concerned with is the proposed development of a trash facility for remodel and construction garbage. I missed the meeting concerning this issue, as it was the same night as the Republican Committee meeting, but I will hear the arguments at the July 13 Town Board meeting, which will be held at the Firehouse due to the large expected turnout by the community.

This will bring a greater number of voters out for our November election. As a voting member of this community for the last 18 years, I am excited to become part of the election!

I have picked up my petition packet from the Board of Elections and begun my race for Town Clerk! I have put together my committee to fill vacancies which will find a replacement for me if I win the election but for some reason am unable to take office in January. I have found people to circulate my petition with me, and have approximately 50 of the 60 necessary signatures. This will put me into the Republican Primary which will consist of three candidates. I will also run as an independent, petitioning for which will begin July 12. This will get my name on the November ballot even if I lose the September Primary.

I have found this process to much more involved than I originally believed it to be. Sixty signatures is a lot of people, and they must be registered, active Republicans. With three of us running for the position, this is getting difficult!

For the Independent ballot I will be able to petition registered voters from any party, as long as they have not yet signed a petition for town clerk. However, I will most likely need more than 60 signatures for this petition."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2011 :  12:02:49 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth, (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Farmgirl Legends for earning the Chapter Guru badge.
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2011 :  12:52:45 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson, (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an expert level ChillOver ComeOver badge.

"We made 2 more ChillOver recipes.

I presented the recipes to other farmgirls and on the forum. I hope to tweak the recipes and make them even better. I presented a ChillOver Butterscotch Pudding and a Salmon Mousse recipe."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page