Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2011 :  11:50:55 AM  Show Profile
Kristin McNamara, (fmglmac, #3176) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"A while ago I came across a blog that talked about using plastic shopping bags as a pattern for re-useable shopping bags. Over the last year I have been collecting pieces of misc. fabric to make these bags. That, combined with the re-useable bags that I have collected over the years, and I have way more than 6 re-useable shopping bags. Although I started collecting and making these long before I became a member, I haven’t always been good at using them. This badge has given me the motivation to commit to using them. I have placed them in the trunk of my car for easy access so that I won’t have an excuse not use them.

I am really excited about how my bags have turned out. I love all of the different colors and combinations. I get compliments on them all the time and I have even had some people request that I make some for them. As I move through the levels of this badge, I hope to teach other farmgirls how to make them!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2011 :  11:56:23 AM  Show Profile
Janet Pinter, (owwlady, #3128) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I already had two reusable shopping bags, which was never enough, so I went to the dollar store and purchased four more. What I need to remember now is that when I'm done unloading them in the house, walk immediately to the car and put them on the front seat. No more finding myself at the store without a few bags!

I'm doing good so far...always bags in the car and in the house. Haven't forgotten to use one yet!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2011 :  09:50:55 AM  Show Profile
Winnie Nielsen, (Red Tractor Girl, #3109) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner and intermediate level Unprocessed Kitchen badge.

"I wanted to make a heart healthy , low fat granola which I just love. So, I went online and found a basic recipe idea and experimented with it for exact amounts. Then I went to our local grocery store, in the health food section, and purchased all organic ingredients. Attached are the photo results of my Organic Apple Cinnamon granola. I also packaged up a bag to use as a Birthday gift for a colleague at work.

My second level was remaking two recipes all organic. The first was a pasta dish and the second was a frittata. I went again to our local market where they sell organic vegetables, and other organic items, and made both dishes the past few days. I can submit the recipes if that is needed because they are very easy to do and you can change around the ingredients to suit your own tastes.

It was an adventure going all organic!! I realized that it was also very easy to do and affordable. Many of the dry items I could buy in the organic bins (like the oats, flax seeds, cinnamon and dried apples). The veggies are from some local organic farmers and were not hugely more expensive. The results were delicious for all three dishes that I made. I have been eating the granola for breakfast every day, and taking leftovers for lunch from the other two dishes. I plan to investigate more organic meat options and maybe buy from a local farmer instead of the supermarket. I hope the photos came out because I am not sure if I did this correctly. The file also contains my first aprons that I am working on for my other badge."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2011 :  11:39:11 AM  Show Profile
Kim Hazelrigg, (kimarie91, #3147) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I rounded up all my reusable shopping bags and installed a Command coat hanging device right behind my front door for them to hang. That way, I see them as I'm going out the door, and remember to use them. I have 10 total bags of various sizes, plus one soft-side cooler for longer shopping trips. I purchased one new bag on Saturday during my trip to the fabric store to use everywhere but the grocery store. I love it!

I have used my red mesh bag twice for the local farmers market, and one of my white bags for a trip to the grocery this week. They are a lot easier to handle than the plastic bags and hold more. The hook on my closet door enables me to see them, so I put them in my front seat so I won't forget to grab them when I get to the market."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2011 :  11:46:35 AM  Show Profile
Kim Hazelrigg, (kimarie91, #3147) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I saw a kit like this one posted a while back, and thought it would be great in a wedding shower gift I am putting together. I made a pincushion for the lid of a mason jar and inserted scissors, 4 spools of thread, pack of various pair of buttons, pack of various needles and threader, straight pins, safety pins, seam ripper, measuring tape, and a thimble.

It turned out so cute! I cannot wait to see her face. I think this is something I will put together for the younger girls I know going to college, or getting married."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2011 :  11:55:28 AM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson, (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Knitting badge.

"I taught myself to knit.

I learned how to cast on, create the knit, purl stitch and to end. I knitted a thin straight scarf using a size 6 knitting needle. I also taught my 11 year old and 9 year old daughter to knit. My project took well over 3 hours. I practiced the knitting stitches many times before starting the thin straight scarf."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2011 :  12:03:00 PM  Show Profile
Theresa Atkinson, (Theresa Atkinson, #1632) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Get It Together badge.

"I cleaned out all of my storage containers, and either threw them out, (too awful to give away) recycled them, or gave them to a single mother who really needed them.

I can now find what I need when I need it. And it looks awesome. Below is a photo of what headed out the door."

"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2011 :  12:11:11 PM  Show Profile
Theresa Atkinson, (Theresa Atkinson, #1632) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge.

"I made a half apron and have worn it in the kitchen, but think I like a full apron better.

I like wearing an apron. It keeps me cleaner, and keeps my clothes cleaner."

"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2011 :  12:17:15 PM  Show Profile
Theresa Atkinson, (Theresa Atkinson, #1632) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge.

"I took a crochet class and learned how to make dishcloths. I then showed my sister how to make one.

I think I still like knitting better, but it is always nice to learn a new skill. I'm sure I will be able to use crochet in my knitting."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2011 :  12:22:23 PM  Show Profile
Joy Lujan, (#3169) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level Disconnect to Reconnect badge.

"I did a quick shout out online that I was taking a mini-sabbatical and would "see" them all Monday morning. On Wednesday morning, I unplugged the computer and turned off my cell phone. I asked my husband to do the same. We then took the kids to White Bird, Idaho where the Salmon River was running WAY high and fast. It was beautiful. We stayed with a friend and helped her with odd projects around her ranch... she's older.

It was a wonderful weekend! Not having the phone ringing was the most rewarding time! Also, not feeling like I needed to see what my online family was doing and spending time with my real family was awesome! I didn't realize how much time I spent on this device! We went fishing in a little pond, learned how to play a new game suitable for all of us (aged 4-80) and just hung out together! I read, quilted, took walks and spent time outdoors with the family. THANK YOU for the idea to do something different! I know this was more detailed than needed for the beginner level but it worked for me. I'm looking forward to doing this more often for just the weekend and not going 5 days but just two and see how a regular scheduled unplugged time would be beneficial. Sorry, no pictures this time-left everything at home!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2011 :  11:40:04 AM  Show Profile
Sarah Schweitzer, (Sarahkaylpn #2914) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge.

"I made a total of 4 half aprons for a friend, and her step-daughter, and for my sister, and her friend. I based my pattern off of a friend's apron and added the ruffles and and pocket.

My friend and her step-daughter wear them anytime they bake together, and just when she is working in the kitchen. She likes how she looks in it and it's fun. I started to make my self a half apron, but found a different pattern that allowed you to take the top part off if needed. So I made an apron like that for myself. That will be my next merit badge in this category."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2011 :  11:57:12 AM  Show Profile
Sarah Schweitzer, (Sarahkaylpn #2914) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Unprocessed Kitchen badge.

"We were having a carry-in at work and I had been flipping through an issue of Mary Jane's Farm and saw the strawberry shortcake and fresh whipped cream. I made the shortcake from scratch along with the fresh whipped cream.

It was a huge hit and everyone was amazed it was all from scratch. I'm asked to make it for all the carry-ins now."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2011 :  12:02:47 PM  Show Profile
Sarah Schweitzer, (Sarahkaylpn #2914) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an intermediate level Unprocessed Kitchen badge.

"I started making homemade dog biscuits for my three dogs, since my 15-year-old dog quit eating dog food. I now make 5 different varieties that I sell at my local farmer's market to give owners a natural and healthy treat for their dogs. I make my own lip balm also, with seven different flavors made from beeswax (from a local beekeeper) vitamin E oil, essential oil, and olive oil. So much cheaper than buying from a store and makes my lips so much softer. I sell these also at the Farmer's Market

The dog biscuits are a huge hit with my dogs and all of my friends' dogs. They are gaining popularity at the farmers' market too. My lip balm is the same way."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2011 :  12:13:24 PM  Show Profile
Lisa Bramblet, (CABuffaloGal, #2705) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Going Green badge.

"Replaced any remaining cleaning chemicals with safe alternatives. Stated my mission to all in the home that we are non-toxic. I keep several binders of good green ideas for craft, garden, cleaning, etc. And am always happy to share my tips and ideas with others in my sphere of influence. :)

It's a daily journey, and we are doing well, and staying vigilant to keep it green."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2011 :  12:22:29 PM  Show Profile
Lisa Bramblet, (CABuffaloGal, #2705) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"We have collected WAY more than 6 re-usable bags and plan to swap/share with friends at an upcoming event this year. :) We take our bags every where.

I have a good stash of bags I keep in the truck now permanently so I always have a bag on hand. I love it!" :)
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2011 :  12:35:43 PM  Show Profile
Lisa Bramblet, (CABuffaloGal, #2705) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"I have collected a bunch of cleaning recipes, and even found a book or 2 to add to my collection that help in this regard. We have made laundry soap and have found a commercial non-toxic we like as well.

My awareness of alternatives continues to expand, and I am pleased with the changes we have made so far."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2011 :  12:42:20 PM  Show Profile
Lisa Bramblet, (CABuffaloGal, #2705) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Connecting Growers and Eaters badge.

"As a Certified Master Gardener I oversee our Homeschool Garden. I coordinate, plant start seeds, plant young plants, and educate the families that attend.

The garden is in and growing, weeding starts now, and I can't wait to harvest to get those kids the food they have grown." :)
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2011 :  12:49:03 PM  Show Profile
Lisa Bramblet, (CABuffaloGal, #2705) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Public Service badge.

"I attended our City Council with my son and his friend (who were both Eagle Scout Candidates, now Eagles, who were also working on their Merit Badges Cit. in the Community.) I always read all the election information and research each issue, and I have not missed one election since I turned 18, which is starting to feel like a long time. ;) Additionally my husband and I have served as election officials at the last 5 elections in our area. :)

We have become more involved, and aware in our family, about politics in general and the processes involved."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2011 :  1:02:00 PM  Show Profile
Lisa Bramblet, (CABuffaloGal, #2705) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"I helped finish building my new chicken coop and secured 3 just laying hens and 3 chickens that will start to lay in about August. :) I'm enjoying spoiling the girls with lots of greens from around our yard and organic feed.

It has been eye opening how hard it is to find organic feed! We are enjoying tracking the egg product of the 3 hens who are laying and have realized when the other 3 start we better get good at some marketing, it's going to be very eggy around here! :)"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2011 :  1:06:13 PM  Show Profile
Lisa Bramblet, (CABuffaloGal, #2705) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Forage For Food badge.

"Our CE Office does not provide a list of edibles, however as a resident Master Gardener I will suggest that they do. I have researched using numerous field guides and native plant books what is native and edible and have enjoyed many CA treats, we have a lot of good wild edibles. I particularly like our Claytonia sbrica (miners lettuce) it is great in salads. :)

I am planting nw varieties of native edibles in my yard, can't wait for my currents to produce and currently looking for some huckleberries. :)"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2011 :  1:10:29 PM  Show Profile
Lisa Bramblet, (CABuffaloGal, #2705) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an intermediate level Forage For Food badge.

"With the use of field guides I have gotten pretty handy at plant identification. For edibles I stick to the things I 'know' for sure so I don't run into trouble. I have some great forage spots identified and am on the look out for some new ones. That reminds me I should go check for the currents I found on a walk last year, gotta go. ;)

Love to find free food in the wild. Could anything be more fun than food all around us. :)"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2011 :  1:14:56 PM  Show Profile
Lisa Bramblet, (CABuffaloGal, #2705) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Unprocessed Kitchen badge.

"Granola! I love granola and frankly I don't think you have really had granola until you make it for yourself! :) Who needs pre-made store granola. Have worked on a few different recipes and found one I have settled on as the one I like.

Entered my granola recipe in the fair a few years ago and got a prize. :) Next adventure... granola/bars. :)"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2011 :  1:42:07 PM  Show Profile
Tamara Burger, (GrammyTammy, #2495) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Spirit badge.

"I hosted a tea party for my quilting group, using the tea party kit from Mary Jane. That included invitations, name place markers, MJF magazines and loose tea. I made scones with the budget mix. Hats and aprons were required. We made fabric ribbon bookmarks after lunch.

Everyone had a great time with all the food and fun MJF stuff. The magazines are being traded. We have decided to have a theme lunch monthly."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2011 :  10:10:42 AM  Show Profile
Kim French, (french08, #2997) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Build It Green badge.

"For decorating your home in ways that are green, I searched the internet for a "green" way to dye Easter Eggs. When my daughter, who is 24, came to spend the day with me, we had a blast dying eggs! I used blueberries, onion peels, tea bags, instant coffee and raspberries. After adding a bit of vinegar to each cup, I added a different "color" to each one after boiling my ingredients, and it sat for a bit.

They came out beautifully! I was very impressed with the colors, and on top of that, I did it with all natural items found in my kitchen!"

"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2011 :  10:16:51 AM  Show Profile
Kim French, (french08, #2997) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an intermediate level Build It Green badge.

"I don't have a Farmgirl chapter in my area, so I posted on the chat, in Make It Easy, how I made my Easter Egg dyes. I thought the all natural dyes were a great idea because you can use your own organic foods found right in your kitchen!

I am hoping that by posting my dye experience, other sisters will be able to try their hand at this. It was so much fun!"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page