Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2011 :  11:15:38 AM  Show Profile
Tanya Murphy, (Turtlemoon, #1737) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level The Secret Life of Bees badge.

"Watched the trailer plus a documentary on the vanishing bees.
Redid a garden bed in yard full of bee and butterfly attracting plants. Looking at making a mason bee house as well. Read the Susan Monk Kidd book. Great read! Have to say the movie stayed pretty true to the book as well.

Wonderfully informative. The bee story is an interesting and frustrating situation.Love the new flower bed, I have hated it for years and now adore it! Love to read and this book caught my attention right from the start."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2011 :  11:27:20 AM  Show Profile
Scarlett Winters, (silver3wings, #2044) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level In the Garden badge.

"Using scrap wood from an old park bench, I made a ladder trellis for the garden. I used copper pipe and nylon netting to make a bean tee-pee for my peas and soldier beans.

Since I have a small garden, these items were perfect for making use of space. I can grow up instead of out this year."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2011 :  11:39:22 AM  Show Profile
Scarlett Winters, (silver3wings, #2044) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Know Your Roots badge.

"My mom and I sat down recently to talk about the importance of keeping memoirs. She arranged to get me a copy of a book about her mother’s family history from my aunt, and a book with information and fun stories about her father’s side of the family.

Reading about my family history is fascinating. It’s amazing the surprising stories about family members, some infamous, in the area where I grew up. There is even a bridge in my hometown named after my great grandfather. When I visit my mother again I plan to bring her a recorder so she can record her memoirs without having to write them down. Then, I’ll put them into print and video."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2011 :  11:52:23 AM  Show Profile
Scarlett Winters, (silver3wings, #2044) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an intermediate level Know Your Food badge.

"I’ve pretty much reached the point where all of the produce and meat I purchase are either certified organic or are better than organic. I also try to cut back on processed food. The Local Grower’s Guild compiled an online list of all the local CSA's. I compared them and joined the Maple Valley Farm CSA for my lamb, chicken, rabbit, turkey, and beef and I joined the Stranger’s Hill Organics CSA for my veggies. If I get any high-fructose corn syrup in my diet, it is by accident. Now that the labels are just calling it “corn sugar” now, I have to be especially diligent.

Since it is difficult to find items that are both allergen-free and organic (I have food allergies), avoiding all non-organic food isn’t always possible. That doesn’t keep me from still looking. I’ve found organic basmati rice and organic buckwheat groats. So that goes a long way toward my organic diet.

The challenging part of earning this level has been replacing dessert with unsweetened fruit. I thought that I didn’t eat much in the way of sweets until I started paying attention. I’m now making a point of eating more fruit salads and unsweetened homemade smoothies and sorbets. I’ve also experimented with substituting sugar in recipes with fruit puree. Substituting desserts with fruit this spring has been wonderful. I don’t have the highs and lows that usually come from desserts and yet, I feel satisfied."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2011 :  12:00:19 PM  Show Profile
Scarlett Winters, (silver3wings, #2044) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a intermediate level What's Your Beef? badge.

"I read the book “BEEF: The untold Story of How Milk, Meat, and Muscle Shaped the World,” by Andrew Rimas and Evan D.G. Fraser. I’ve researched local cattle farms in my area both online at the local farmer’s market.

The book was amazing. The amount of research done by the authors had to be extensive. They are truly experts on all things cow. My research led to many farmers in my area. My chiropractor has organically raised cattle that she sells to friends and clients. I also purchase beef from Maple Valley Farm, a local farm where I am a CSA member."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2011 :  12:10:32 PM  Show Profile
Robin Luich, (Duckmama, #1720) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching and Crafting for earning a expert level Aprons badge.

"I made two matching full aprons that are fully lined. Each has three layers of ruffles across the bottom of the front, darts, and lots of rick-rack. They are green with farm themed fabric for the ruffles. The lining also has darts and I attached pockets to the lining for hidden storage.

Ruffles and lining aprons is new to me. I usually don't do ruffles. (too girly for me!) I sent one to a farmgirl sister as part of an apron swap. I filled her pockets with garden gloves, packets of seeds and note cards. I hope she loves it.
I own my own business, so I wore mine to work today. I feel really frilly."

"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2011 :  12:19:59 PM  Show Profile
Robin Luich, (Duckmama, #1720) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Gratitude badge.

"I started a gratitude journal in an old composition book on May 1, 2011. At first I added a line or two every day about something, but I found as time went by I was writing more to explain why I was grateful. It is June 5th and I am still writing at least once a day!

My little re-purposed composition book will probably need to be replaced by the end of June. I am proud of the fact that I am writing daily."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2011 :  12:27:31 PM  Show Profile
Michelle Praught, (meshako, #3074) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level "Out There" Women badge.

"For my survival pack I gathered things from around my house, and hit up Walmart for the things I didn't have. For identifying ten plants I took a walk through my woods with a plant guide.

I love my survival pack! The poncho came in handy when it started to rain on the hike. Identifying the plants proved to be more difficult, but I did it and I am proud of myself."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2011 :  12:42:44 PM  Show Profile
Laurie Conner, (Montrose Girl, #1587) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an intermediate level Unprocessed Kitchen badge.

"Last fall I made ketchup. I never use it much, but my husband likes it on sandwiches. It was an experiment but he has requested even more now and in bigger containers. I used the 1/2 pint jars. Tonight I made sweet potato french fries. So I went to use the ketchup with the fries, as ketchup has been one of my cravings as of late.

I love not having all the extra things they put in commercial ketchup, and since I baked the fries they were healthy and I was able to play with some spices. I topped off the perfect dinner with local beef burgers."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2011 :  12:51:19 PM  Show Profile
Laurie Conner, (Montrose Girl, #1587) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Entrepreneurial Spirit badge.

"We have an orchard but have been wanting to diversify. After a tour with the Horticulture Society this January, we decided besides additional berries and other fruits, to branch out and expand into lavender. I've been researching how to grow it, the best conditions, markets and have spoken with a few local growers to learn about the distillation process. I have also planned out start up costs for plants, materials, and labor.

We placed our order. Though it will be a few years before we see much crop, I'm excited for this addition."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2011 :  12:59:21 PM  Show Profile
Christine Murphy, (Cmurphy, #3102) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I have collected seven reusable shopping bags. I am concerned about stores not trusting me to have purchased bags previously, therefore I have used fabric paint to put my last name on each one.

Great! I found that my favorite grocery actually gives five cents off per bag that they don't have to provide, so I will definitely be obtaining more!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2011 :  1:08:35 PM  Show Profile
Emily Hack, (aterationsbyemily, #2951) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"I unfortunately rent my home and am unable to own my own chickens, but this did not deter me. I went down to my neighbor's home who owns chickens and helped her for two hours cleaning the chicken area and feeding and watering them. We then moved indoors because we had to take care of her new chicks that had just arrived. We cleaned their papers and feed and watered them.

I had a good time working hard with my friend and neighbor. It was very smelly to me, and the chickens pecked at my shoe laces, but I found it rewarding when my friend handed me a free dozen of eggs for all my help."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2011 :  1:18:47 PM  Show Profile
Emily Hack, (aterationsbyemily, #2951) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Bustin' Out badge.

"For the first week we switched too organic local flour which was grown and milled near my parent’s home in Pittsburgh. Everything that I made with it was so much nicer, and you could see the quality of it. The second week I switched us to organic carrots to put on our salads and snuck them into a few things. The flavor was very different that the regular carrots. It was almost like they were missing a ‘gooyness’ to them. The third week we switched to organically grown lettuce, it was so nice to eat lettuce that did not require mass amount of dressing. It had a pop of flavor. The fourth, and final week, we switched to organic sugar. As much success as we met with other things, we were not wowed by it. We purchased corn sugar, and now we think we should look into perhaps another form of organic sugar.

I was really happy with most of the items that we picked out. I look forward to try more things, and expand our current tastes."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2011 :  3:48:05 PM  Show Profile
Joanna Fedewa, (Tansyshy, #907) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching and Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I've been meaning to put this up for a while, but for several months now, I've been collecting buttons. I found some at antique stores. Some are my Grandmother's. Some I did buy. I'm not sure where I got the little box. I think it was a Christmas present. But once again, not sure.

I love collecting buttons and I think the collection turned out pretty well. This is not to say that it isn't finished of course. I do plan on adding more to it, as I find more buttons." :)

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2011 :  4:29:06 PM  Show Profile
Joanna Fedewa, (Tansyshy, #907) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching and Crafting for earning an intermediate level and expert level Buttoned Up badge.

"Well, first I collected a bunch of buttons. Then, the other day, I started to research the Woman's Suffrage movement. I also watched a very good movie about Alice Paul called Iron Jawed Angels with Hilary Swank in it. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it. http://iron-jawed-angels.com/

This got me thinking that I wanted to create something that I could wear which would remind me how hard our ancestors worked to get women the right to vote.

So, I did a bit more research. In England the Suffrage colors were Green, White and Violet. Green for hope, white for purity and violet for either royalty or dignity. In America, the colors were white, purple and gold. So, I created a button bracelet, using not only white, purple and gold, but also green. I took the main idea from this. http://www.folksy.com/items/471317-Sister-Suffragette-Button-Bracelet
Then made one of my own.

All together, considering this is the first time I've ever done something like this, I think it turned out pretty well. I may have to change some buttons to a lower part of the chain later. But I really like the results."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2011 :  10:01:01 AM  Show Profile
Shasta Forrester, (Shastasue, #2715) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Horse Dreams badge.

"I live in a small mountain area community. There are a lot of horses in this area. I personally have 2 horses and have raised and cared for them my entire life. I drive past other horses daily, but to earn this badge I made it a point to really pay attention. There are many beautiful and talented breeds of horses, but the quarter horse is by far my favorite. Even though I have horses, I still got together with some fellow farm girls and "met" a couple up close and personal. I fed them and groomed them and learned their names. Casey is a 23 year old paint horse that still races barrels, and Vino is a young fiery thoroughbred.

I really enjoyed earning this badge. I got to step back and really admire the horses in my local area. It made me remember how much I love these animals. Earning this badge with fellow farmgirls was a fabulous experience. Not everyone has been raised around them so to see the excitement through their eyes was very fun."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2011 :  10:16:05 AM  Show Profile
Shasta Forrester, (Shastasue, #2715) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching and Crafting for earning an intermediate level Aprons badge.

"My small group of fellow farmgirls got together one day to sew our full aprons. I picked out my super cute fabric, and a simple but cute pattern, and we got started. I'd never done ruffles before but I did it. We were unable to finish that day so I had to pick it up again on my own. It took about 5 hours, but I now have my first full apron. The day I finished I was so proud of myself I wore it to several friends houses' to show it off.

Soooooo cute. I added big pockets in front for gathering eggs. I love it and wear it everyday!!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2011 :  10:26:03 AM  Show Profile
Shasta Forrester, (Shastasue, #2715) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Little Squirts badge.

"Seeing that I could earn a badge for this completely inspired me. This was a long overdue task, and I don't like to admit it, but I was just lazy. Every door in my house needed a little squirt. I fixed up all of them. Until reading this requirement I never even thought to oil our bike chains, but I did that too. My garden tools have always been something I take good care of. I went through and oiled them and made sure they were all in their proper place.

This was a great task. It's amazing how long I'll listen to a squeaky door. Now I'm more aware, and I know that it just takes a few minutes to get rid of the squeak. "
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2011 :  10:39:45 AM  Show Profile
Shasta Forrester, (Shastasue, #2715) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an intermediate level Little Squirts badge.

"During the process of squirting all my squeaky doors I also had to tighten screws in one door to get it set back in its place so it would close properly. I also had another door that required more work. I had to sand it quite a bit, but was finally able to get it to work properly as well. After reading more about the requirement for this badge I finally replaced a deadbolt that hadn't worked in years.

It's so nice to have doors that lock and open and close the way they're supposed to. And no more squeaks to worry about "
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2011 :  10:46:04 AM  Show Profile
Kim French, (french08, #2997) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I have my collection of 6 shopping bags. They are hanging right by the back door so that I can always grab them on the way out.

It's great to be able to tell the cashiers that I have my own bag!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2011 :  10:54:30 AM  Show Profile
Kim French, (french08, #2997) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"In researching ways to clean around my home I've found some great information! Who knew there were so many uses for baking soda? And lemon juice? And vinegar? I will be saving money and, at the same time, not spraying toxic cleaners in my home.

I used a mix of vinegar and lemon juice to clean my bathroom one morning. My husband came home and said "Wow, it's smells great in here!" And THAT was a great feeling to know that he noticed and had no idea what ingredients I used. It was a simple, clean smell."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2011 :  11:34:00 AM  Show Profile
Kim French, (french08, #2997) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Get It Together badge.

"I went through my kitchen and did a thorough cleaning out. An overly full utensil drawer was weeded out. The forks I saved for my tin can project. Several containers with no lids have been re-purposed in the garage for containers not needing lids. Pots and pans not used for whatever reason were thrown out, or put with gardening supplies. I even put away my electric can opener and made the manual one available to save on the energy bill.

I have more space! YAY! I also had room to get better organized which is always a good thing in the kitchen."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2011 :  11:41:25 AM  Show Profile
Kim French, (french08, #2997) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an intermediate level Get It Together badge.

"Making a kitchen needs list was easy for me. By adding a pressure canning cooker last summer, I have everything I need. I do a lot of canning from our garden produce and this was a much needed item.

Knowing that I have what I need to make harvest time easier is a great relief! The only thing I add is the food from the garden!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2011 :  11:46:10 AM  Show Profile
Kim French, (french08, #2997) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an expert level Get It Together badge.

"I have a great electric can opener because it comes equipped with a knife sharpener. Once every couple months, I'll run my knives through the sharpener to be sure I always have them when needed.

Knowing that my knives are always sharp when needed is a relief."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2011 :  11:55:30 AM  Show Profile
Kim French, (french08, #2997) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level First Aid badge.

"I have a few first aid kits assembled. I have one in our garage, one in each vehicle and one in our bathroom, as well as the kitchen. I also pack one when we go camping. I have a fire extinguisher in our kitchen. I check our smoke detectors in the fall and spring when the time changes. Easy to remember to do it on that schedule.

Living on a farm means cuts and scrapes from time to time, so having the kits easily reachable is a good thing for sure. We don't need them that often, but knowing where they are when you do need one is important to me. "
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page