Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 20 2011 :  3:42:13 PM  Show Profile
Tanya Murphy, (Turtlemoon, #1737) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an intermediate level First Aid badge.

"I became an EMT in college when I was working ski patrol in NH. Later when I started teaching scuba diving in Hawaii I became a certified O2 provider. My husband teaches first aid and safety CPR classes and I assist him. I am well certified. :)

It's enjoyable working with people and helping when you can."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 20 2011 :  3:46:40 PM  Show Profile
Sherry Buck, (sweettea59, #2215) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Homespun Christmas badge.

"Christmas 2010 I made 3 different quilts. 1 for my daughter that was a queen sized black and white quilt called "Out of the Block". I also made a matching baby quilt for her. The third was a western horse throw for a friend of the family. I also made an apron for my niece who just moved into her own apartment and is learning to cook. I upcycled a garage sale find wooden kitchen chair by painting it dark blue and painting a snowman and the word believe on it. I do a lot of cooking for Christmas gifts from breads to cookies. So I made my sister-in-law a jar that my husband and I sandblasted their monogram on and made a wooden lid and base for. I put together several bean soup bottles for my brothers. I mixed the spiced myself and layered the beans in the bottle.

Everyone loved their gifts. I have heard so many times that homemade gifts are so much more special to people and that is something that I really believe. I will continue to make the majority of my gifts throughout the year. Making gifts is also something that I share with my daughter. She now trys to make the majority of her gifts as well."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 20 2011 :  3:51:06 PM  Show Profile
Tanya Murphy, (Turtlemoon, #1737) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an expert level First Aid badge.

"I am an assistant to the instructor of a bi-monthly First aid/cpr class as well as having worked ambulance crew as an EMT and am certified as an O2 provider. I must have my certs refreshed yearly for work.

Smiles, to get paid they must be current! I have used them though in emergencies I have come upon while driving."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 20 2011 :  3:55:27 PM  Show Profile
Sherry Buck, (sweettea59, #2215) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an expert level Quilting badge.

"My daughter was redecorating her bedroom in black and white and it had been several years since I made her a quilt. I decided to make her a queen size black and white quilt. The quilt pattern was called "Out of the Block". I used 10 different fabric patterns to make each block. After I got the 36 blocks made I had to lay it out and turn the blocks to that no two patterns were together. It took me 6 months working on the quilt on and off to get it finished by Christmas. I also made matching pillow cases with the extra scraps.

Brittany and her husband love the quilt and use it every day."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 24 2011 :  12:23:59 PM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating, #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Community Service badge.

"Of my three choices, I decided on helping others through gardening because I have just finished the Master Gardening class in my area. That organization requires 50 hours of volunteer service which I have just completed. We keep a log of the hours and what we did which we turn in each month. I have done the 10 hours and the 20 hours required for this badge and gave a report at our last Farmgirls meeting in Cumming, GA on May 14, 2011.

Of the many things I did volunteering, I liked the most helping my best friend set up a Square Foot Garden on her front lawn. She did not know anything about gardening except for walking behind her grandfather as a child while he plowed with a mule. I told her this was much easier and gave greater yields, so we shall see how that goes. We planted herbs as well as tomatoes, squash, peas, beans, onions and bell peppers, kale and okra."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 24 2011 :  12:27:23 PM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating, #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an intermediate level Community Service badge.

"As a continuation from the Beginner level, I am still working with this friend on her garden and am going to help her install a rain barrel next. I have it ready and am going to take it down next week. However, I already have the additional 20 hours needed for this badge done. I also set her garden up with the extras from my own so I am recycling too. I found extra 2 x 6's and made the bed for her, painting it with leftover paint.

The rain barrel turned out great and only cost $40 to make. I painted it green so that it would blend in with the vegetation around her house. This is to keep the algae from forming inside it."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 24 2011 :  12:31:32 PM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating, #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Community Action badge.

"I found out that the Dawsonville City water where I live has fluoride in it which I very much disagree with. I am actually on a well so that it won't affect me but I had to find out so that whenever I go into Dawsonville proper, I will be sure not to drink the water there, or take my own, which is what I usually do. The Health Department is the one who has jurisdiction over this.

I have written an article about this issue which is on my website called www.HealthyEatingOnTheRun.com to try to call attention to this situation. But unfortunately, most people don't seem to care about it and most are sheeple who just go along with what the government says. So I have done all that I can."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 24 2011 :  12:36:10 PM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating, #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Public Service badge.

"I attended a meeting of the City Council on the issue of an airport coming in to our town and was turned away due to lack of room because so many came. I watched a video of it later that someone had made. I have made it a priority to read the local newspapers on issues both local, state and national so that I am aware of what is happening. I have always voted on any issue I could since I turned 18 years old and was eligible to vote.

We won the issue on the airport which had concerned a large number of people. We effectively told the City that they had no business approving anything that affected the whole county without giving the county folks the right to: a. know about it, and b. voice their opinions on it. That shook them up a bit."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 24 2011 :  12:45:06 PM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating, #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Lend A Hand to Farm Families badge.

"I worked with a friend who has a big garden area and helped her to plan her garden out. She had grown up in a family who gardened but had just done what she was told and had no idea how much to plant or when. I have documented this on the log sheet with the Master Gardener class.

It is ongoing but I have given her some seeds and some seedlings that I germinated and helped her by giving her some printed information that I had available, in addition to the garden plan. We've just started so it will be fun to see how the garden turns out."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 24 2011 :  12:48:53 PM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating, #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Plant It Forward badge.

"I have set up an extra Square Foot Garden that is for produce for our local food bank called the Ric Rac. We are currently feeding over 400 families, certified by DFACS as needing it, here in Dawson County, over 17% of the population. We have been particularly hard hit by the recession and the need is great.

This is ongoing as the growing season has just started here in Georgia. I expect to have great yields from the Square Foot Gardens I have planted, and therefore should have lots to share with people."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 24 2011 :  12:52:33 PM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating, #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Connecting Growers and Eaters badge.

"I worked in my best friend's garden to help her weed it, water it, and trellis it properly. I brought her tomato cages since I had extra's, and put them over her bell pepper plants. I bought some seedlings for her and gave her the extras of the seeds that I had purchased.

Her garden looks great and things are coming up really well since she lives an hour and a half south of me in Atlanta. I had to call her when we had a cold spell come through this week to tell her to cover the basil if nothing else because it was going to be down into the 40's."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 24 2011 :  1:07:56 PM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating, #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Gratitude badge.

"I have been doing Master Mind Journaling for about 12 years now and within that system, every day we write down two things that we are grateful for. I don't repeat things because there is so much to be grateful for that sometimes I have a hard time pinning it down to just two.

This has been a wonderful experience for me as indicated by how long I have been doing it. It is so wonderful to follow how my life has been going all these years. We write down weekly and monthly goals and daily what we did. I have never missed more than a few days in all these years and when I did, I immediately did it the next day. Usually it was when I was sick that I skipped a day - never over trivial things."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 24 2011 :  2:19:32 PM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating, #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Families Forever badge.

"I never watch TV and haven't for many years. I don't miss it at all and actually find it to be very annoying whenever I am around one outside of my house. My partner Brian and I find much contentment by sitting in the living room and reading in companionable silence with each other. Sometimes we read to the other when we find something that might be of interest to the other.

We do this often but not frequently enough as our lives get so busy. It is something that we very much enjoy though."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 24 2011 :  3:15:00 PM  Show Profile
Susan Smithburg, (#2122) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level The Secret Life of Bees badge.

"I watched the movie trailer which was very interesting. I was familiar with the problem of vanishing bees and I wish the trailer was longer. I have many bee-friendly flowers in my front yard. They attract not only honeybees, but bumblebees. I loved Secret Life of Bees and hope Sue Monk Kidd writes a sequel. I have already ordered Bees: Nature's Little Wonders for the intermediate badge.

Great--interesting, beneficial & sparked a desire to learn more."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 24 2011 :  3:22:07 PM  Show Profile
Tanya Murphy, (Turtlemoon, #1737) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an intermediate level Green Energy badge.

"Kept track of all household expenses. I was not too suprised by the totals at the months end as we already practice being eco-friendly. The month was a cold/damp one so I did expect the natural gas to be a little higher. (most of the month it rained/snowed and stayed about 15 degrees out. It balanced a little though as we camped a couple of weekends and burned old wood we re-cooped from folks trash for camp heat. The electric bill went down as the holiday lights are taken down (which are all LED but still...)it is our darkest month natural light wise.

As I expected. It was sad the cost of fuel as it kept creeping up, even while being conservative with it. Someday we will build our dream retirement home that will be built eco friendly without needing to make changes. I compared bills to last years totals and heat/ gas fuel topped the list from last year (last winter being mild)."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 24 2011 :  3:31:03 PM  Show Profile
Tanya Murphy, (Turtlemoon, #1737) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an expert level Green Energy badge.

"I continued to track household expenses. Gas prices are the worst. We carpooled the 600 miles to pick up daughter and boyfriend from college with his folks. We also split a rental unit in their college town. This cut the fuel greatly!

I helped my dad research and check out energy and allergen effiecient furnaces for his home. I helped with the 5 quote/interviews of the companies as well as when the furnace was installed and helping him learn how to get the most out of it and understanding the basic maintenance of it.

At our camp we built a small solar oven that we can use for both cooking, baking and dehydrating when camping. Will use it for the first time this coming weekend for the holiday! Am looking at a small windmill next to at least run a radio and maybe charge a battery for an outdoor light.

Sadly as electic, natural gas, etc all went down the gas prices seriously increased.

Dad loves the furnace. His first bill will arrive next month but it will not truly show changes in cost till this next winter. Allergen wise though it is helping them greatly. (though it is a bit noisy)

The solar oven looks great and plan to bake a cake this coming weekend. The windmill is still in paper form of designing. will see if it comes to life!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 24 2011 :  3:36:05 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong, (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level Stargazing Chicks badge.

"Stargazing is quite the undertaking! My husband has been interested in this for years and has brought me and our children along for the "ride".

We have engaged in studying the stars for years. But just in 2011, now that the winter months are past we are back out on our deck looking upward . . AMAZING!!!!

One can find lists of stars, including those deemed to be the brightest. We have identified many of those. And studied Ursa Major many times as well as some other constellations.

Further study into the different between stars and plants provides a wealth of information, too vast to share here. There are two BASIC differences: 1. they are composed of different matter and the process of how they break down or are held together. 2. Planets are orbiting celestial bodies and stars are not.
But there is MUCH, MUCH more to their differences and how to determine that physically. Further study included that of degree of arc and measurements.
This business of "stargazing" is just fascinating and not one that you can really say you're "finished" with.

My husband also has many books and charts that I have studied. I have taken photos of the night sky and also diagrammed constellations. These are family projects.

One advantage we have is CLEAR nights where we can engage in this activity from our deck. I can even lay in bed and observe the stars visible through the west window.
As I said AMAZING!!!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 24 2011 :  3:40:59 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong, (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Knitting badge.

"Knitting is something I'd NEVER tried before. Decided I wanted to make the effort.
So, I made this straight shawl/scarf from two skeins of varigated soft yarn in some of my favorite colors.
It measures about 12 inches wide and about 4.5 feet in length. Nice and cozy!!

Took approximately a total of 6 hours and I taught my husband how make one too!
Maybe I can move on to something more intricate and complicated."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 24 2011 :  4:03:23 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer Nino, (JenzaLynn, #2830) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level In the Garden badge.

"From a pile of limbs and branches I have been accummalating I made a bean pole Tee-pee for my Scarlette Runner Beans and a Trellis for my cucumbers.
The Teepee is simply branches/limbs tied together with twine. the cucumber trellis has chicken wire for the weight of the cucumbers.

I think pretty well. The true test will be when the plants grow. I think both are sturdy."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 24 2011 :  4:09:55 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer Nino, (JenzaLynn, #2830) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"-I bought 6 chicks, Americuna for cold weather hardest & other reasons.
-I made a temporary brooder.
-I now have them in a more "big girl" house - still with the heat lamp.
-Looking on ways to grow wheat grass to feed them (supplement), but feeding them with organic feed now.

So far so good."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 24 2011 :  4:15:59 PM  Show Profile
Elizabeth Baker, (woolgirl, #1947) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level BakeOver MakeOver badge.

"During MaryJane's visit to Broofield Mall in Wisconsin I recieved a box of Budget Mix. I came home that night and dove right into a BakeOver recipe!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 24 2011 :  4:22:20 PM  Show Profile
Elizabeth Baker, (woolgirl, #1947) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Bee Good to Your Mother Earth badge.

"Living in military housing presents a challenge in gardening. I however have started all my herbs and vegetables in containers, and am pleased to report they are doing great!

My heirloom tomatoes are doing great, and all my herbs are too! Now if I could just keep the squirrels away!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 24 2011 :  4:27:40 PM  Show Profile
Kate Martin-Moran, (chickadoodle_km, #2958) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge.

"I received a sewing machine for Christmas! I had never used a sewing machine before, but had high hopes of mastering it, since my hope is to start a business with my best friend (& fellow farmgirl sister). She fortunately had already mastered sewing and was able to teach me how to use my machine. A few tutorials and a half hour later, I was up and running, I cut out the pattern I had chosen, pinned my fabric to the cut pattern pieces and then began to cut my fabric. Following the step by step instructions and with a few questions for my teacher, I completed my very first project using my sewing machine for the very first time (any sewing machine for that matter)! A half apron! It was a long day, being that it took several hours, but I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it!

I'm very pleased with how my apron turned out! I received several ooooohs and ahhhhhhs, and many were impressed by my final product! It was to say the least a huge confidence boost! I'm proud of myself and that's saying something!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 24 2011 :  4:34:01 PM  Show Profile
Laurie Conner, (Montrose Girl, #1587) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an expert level Know Your Roots badge.

"A few years ago I created a family book and gave it out. Later I did a more specific one for one side of the family and we had a little get together sharing photos and memories for the afternoon. I even met some relatives I had not known before.

For our wedding party this past weekend, hubby and I decided it was a good time to have more of a family get together since the past few years have brought family together during sadder times, such as a funeral.

The party was great. We even had a few comments from some of the relatives that it was nice to get together on a more upbeat note. A few of the cousins even brought family pages to share and furthered history and stories. Both sides had a great time and now we are mixing and gathering history for our upcoming son."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - May 24 2011 :  4:42:27 PM  Show Profile
Paula Black, (Sheepless in Seattle, #2953) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Get It Together badge.

"I pulled out all the plastic containers in THE plastic container drawer and played the matching game. Those that came up short I set aside to wait for a dishwasher cycle or two, or looked around the arts/crafts table. I also did the same thing with the plastic bottles my kids pack in the lunchboxes. And living here in Latte Land, I also did the same thing for the coffee travel cups.

Travel mugs: 100% match, though I got rid of one because it drips and I don't need that!

Bottles: 3 extra and 3 straws that no longer go with anything.

Lids: 7 extra

All recycled!"

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page