Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2011 :  3:56:52 PM  Show Profile
Breanna Helgesen (Breanna, #2507) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Gratitude badge.

"I wrote in a gratitude journal for the month of March. Sometimes it was early in the morning, sometimes midday, sometimes late at night, but every time I could think of so many things to be thankful for! There were some days that got busy and I missed, but I caught up on them the next day.

I was amazed as each day of writing in my gratitude journal went by, and each time I could think of so many things to be thankful for! I think that I could keep a journal like this for my entire life and never run out of reasons to be grateful."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2011 :  4:01:45 PM  Show Profile
Michele Preston (batznthebelfry, #2622) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Lend A Hand to Families badge.

"I have a dear friend who never has all the time she needs to do her chores so I spent one day there cleaning out 2 large coops; shoveling out poo & bedding, dusting inside for mites, replacing with good bedding, spraying around outside with wolf urine to keep away animals, gathering eggs. Next day I came with my medical kit & treated all 75 chickens for mites, checked, cleaned & medicated any wounds, treated for leg mites & trimmed nails. I also redid the dust bath areas in the yard with wood ash, 'd' earth & clay litter. It says I needed to spend at least 10 hours doing this but by the time I was done it was over 16 hours so I think that well qualifies for this...lol....

Well the chickens though upset at first with all the cleaning, being picked up & treated were not happy I think they & my friend were content by the time it was over. The hens had nice clean bedding & clean coops to rest in & they were all treated for their mites & nicks & scraps. My friend was definitely happy not to have to worry about it or try & find the time to do it. I will be doing this again for her hopefully twice a year so that I can come see her...she lives in another town....plus I love helping her with something I know how to do for her."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2011 :  4:09:10 PM  Show Profile
Laurie Lemieux (Montrose Girl, #1587) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner Let's Get Physical badge.

"I set out to walk at least five times a week. Not always easy with this job and I am glad to have the goal to keep me going.

So far, so good!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2011 :  4:15:06 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Brown (rileybrown, #2007) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level What's Your Beef? badge.

"I read the website as directed, eatwild.com. I think we all know that pasture fed beef is better in many ways over grain fed, but until you actually read this article, you fail to realize all the areas that are touched by this controversy. Not only is the animal healthier with less hormones, drugs, and antibiotics, but the environment is protected as well. Healthier human consumption includes less fat, saturated fat, cholesterol and calories. We have food with more nutritional value. Healthy pasture mgt results in high quality grasses and legumes, better manure management with less run-of in our streams and other waterways just to name a few benefits.

I have identified a pasture fed beef farm about 45 min. from my house in Farmersville, Texas. I will be contacting them about purchasing some of their pasture fed beef. I am anxious to try this beef to see if I can tell an immediate difference in the taste I am used to in grain fed."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2011 :  4:23:42 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Brown (rileybrown, #2007) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an intermediate Let's Get Physical badge.

"Our school organized an incentive activity for 3 months to eat healthier, lose weight, increase body mass. Of course, some of these girls are "skinny". Who are they fooling?? But I began with the Beginner level of this merit badge in January, reported in February, and now another month later, reporting in again!

Well, total, I have only lost 4 lbs. I'm better some weeks than others, but if nothing else, it has made me more conscious of what I put in my mouth and when shopping, I do opt for more organic foods, i.e. fruits, lettuce, etc. Even some juices and milk, farm fresh eggs from a friend that raises chickens. I will continue to march!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2011 :  4:30:05 PM  Show Profile
Sherri Reece (slreece, #2090) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"I got my "hen-pen" from my brother in law, who had recently built a bigger henhouse for their chickens. I purchased 8 chickens between 6 and 7 weeks old. Three Golden Wyandottes, four White Rocks and one Barred Rock. I installed a waterer on one side and a box for feed on the other.

The feeder needs some work to keep out the rain, but the rest of it is working just fine."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2011 :  4:36:17 PM  Show Profile
Sherri Reece (slreece, #2090) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level The Secret Life of Bees badge.

"I watched the trailer and read the book last fall. This week I have sowed zinnia seed and sunflower seeds to attract more bees.

I'm sure the bees will love it once it warms up and the flowers come up."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2011 :  4:46:39 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an intermediate level Farmgirl Shutterbugs badge.

"One of my favorite photographer's is Ansel Adams (1902-1984). His was a “proselytizing” medium, bringing the beauty of the wild parts of America to the public heart and, with the public behind him, to the politician's table. His work, a collection of mostly black and white photographs, has been accredited with helping to establish the National Parks organization and his 70 years of service in conjunction with the Sierra Club were dedicated to protecting and preserving the wilderness areas that so many of us appreciate. In the preface of his autobiography, Adams wrote, “People are surprised when I say that I never intentionally made a creative photograph that related directly to an environmental issue, though I am greatly pleased when a picture I have made becomes useful to an important cause. I cannot command the creative impulse on demand. I never know in advance precisely what I will photograph. I go out into the work and hope I will come across something that imperatively interests me. I am addicted to the found object. I have no doubt that I will continue to made photographs till my last breath.” (Ansel Adams: An Autobiography, 1985). Adams died one month later.
My photo project, emulating Ansel Adams, can be found on my farm blog site at www.totallykadeshfarm.blogspot.com
This is a long time study of mine and something I will continue to work on. I am especially eager to emulate Adams' photo of Georgia O'Keefe and Orville Cox with my children...I have tried this already but the conditions were not the best and I had to be too close to my subjects which did not allow me to capture the proper angle.

Here is a copy of my attempt!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2011 :  4:51:22 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an expert level Farmgirl Shutterbugs badge.

"I finished the expert level of this badge by being the resident photographer at all family holiday events as well as the “historian” of the Highland Quilter's Guild. These jobs also come with specific projects. For my guild historian responsibilities, I take photos of our get-togethers, which include workshops with hired demonstrators, teaching the local youth, or holiday/year end celebrations. The photos that I take are downloaded onto a thumb drive and then plugged into our photo viewer for viewing at our meetings. I also collect photos from other members and can scan them into my laptop for transfer to the thumb drive. They love seeing the photos displayed on the viewer, and guests and demonstrators get a chance to see our finished projects!
Also, each year at Christmas I make a calendar for each member of my family. Each month boasts photos from the year prior, season by season. Each of my children is featured on the page of the month in which they celebrate their birthday (each of them owns their own month except for my youngest who shares June with me...she get's face time on June, though, as I am not fond of having my photo taken). They especially love that I add birthdays of family and close friends to the calendar portion. I have been doing this project since my oldest boys moved out on their own. It is a way to keep them connected and for us to share our lives with them even when they are not home. I keep the old photo sections as I tear them off from the household copy of the calendar, so that in the future I can mod podge them onto a memory box or some other project. The photo here is one that I recently scanned in from an old album and manipulated by cropping. To take the photo, I set the camera and had one of my kids push the button. It will appear in my next calendar project as a memory of our 2001 cross-country RV trek across the United States.

I have also been keeping up on advanced photo technology by reading about and using online programs and learning about my new digital camera. This is a totally new realm for me as I have been a die-hard film user my entire adult life. I do, however, love my digital camera and the freedom it gives me in photo sharing, which has always been a priority for me. I love that I can easily post current photos onto my blogsite or upload them to Facebook."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2011 :  4:55:53 PM  Show Profile
Rebecca McGinnis (Sister Becky, #2598) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Knitting badge.

"Our Georgia Farmgirl Chapter Leader, Mary Ann Witcher, taught me how to knit. I made a simple straight scarf. Then I taught my neice and daughter what I had learned.

I messed up a couple of stitches but overall I am soooo proud of myself and the way it turned out. I have always wanted to learn how to knit so I was super excited to start the scarf. I know what I did wrong and will be more careful next time. It took me a while to make but that is fine because I am just learning and do it when I can."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2011 :  1:58:27 PM  Show Profile
Becca Goodman (#2899) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"Collect six reusable bags for shopping. Commit to using them on your shopping trips." I can't believe I haven't done this yet. :)

It's great I love not having all those plastic bags all over my car."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2011 :  2:08:22 PM  Show Profile
Heike Boehnke-Sharp (GoddessintheGroove, #2245) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I have always used reusable bags (I grew up in Germany, and we have ALWAYS had to pay for plastic bags. My Oma would walk home and get a bag before she would PAY for one, lol). So, I have made packs of six for both cars, and one for the house. This way we are never without bags.

Perfect! We are never in the dilemma of not having bags and having to support the waste of plastics. Even my hubby :)."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2011 :  2:17:22 PM  Show Profile
Heike Boehnke-Sharp (GoddessintheGroove, #2245) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"I haven't used toxic cleaners in my house for 13 years, stopped with the pregnancy of my oldest :). I DID, however, still buy laundry detergent. Which leads me to .....

~ I made my own laundry detergent as one of my challenges with the chicks in my chapter. :) Since making my own batch, I have not gone back.

I have tried 3 different variations of detergent until I found the one that works for my machine and our dirt. We are pretty active, and my boy is a dirtbomb. It took a little tweaking, but I finally found a formula that worked. Instead of just going back to commercial, I experimented. :) My family loves the smell of our clothes, (and they never smell mildewy when we forget them in the washer)."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2011 :  2:29:18 PM  Show Profile
Heike Boehnke-Sharp (GoddessintheGroove, #2245) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Gratitude badge.

"I wrote a Gratitude Journal for 30 days...and blogged about it on my blog at www.goddessinthegroove.blogspot.com

:)....very enlightening.

It made me realize that I have enough of everything.

:)"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2011 :  2:37:03 PM  Show Profile
Kathleen Horton (Kat38, #2695) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"I started a flock of chickens!!

I have eight chicks. Five Americanas and three Rhode Island Reds. Two of the Americanas are going to our friends who want to add to their flock, but don't want to start them. We will keep them until the are old enough to defend themselves from our friends two chickens. They are growing everyday. They are interesting girls."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2011 :  2:43:04 PM  Show Profile
Kathleen Horton (Kat38, #2695) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an intermediate level Know Your Food badge.

"We have increased our organic food by over 25%, we joined a CSA and we eliminated all high fructose corn syrup from our diet. I also read "The Omnivore's Dilemma."

I love the CSA I joined. It is a local organic farm and I am able to do work exchange for my produce. I go out once a week for five hours a day and help plant and bring in the harvest. It is like free food and the gift of farm work in one. I also joined an egg CSA to supplement our eggs, since I bake and use a LOT of eggs!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2011 :  3:00:53 PM  Show Profile
Kathleen Horton (Kat38, #2695) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an intermediate level Organic on a Budget badge.

"I buy all local organic produce at the farmers market and CSA.

All our produce is local organic and purchased directly from the farmers, therefore all our produce is seasonal. It is a bit challenging in Maine as winter months consist of winter squash, apples, carrots, potatoes and frozen blueberries, corn and peas. But I have gotten creative. Beet and carrot slaw is a hit, and I grown baby lettuce on top of the fridge and sprouts in a jar. We are now able to get some green house baby cucumbers. My children are so happy to have them again they look forward to the seasons new offerings. It creates gratitude and appreciation for the food we eat."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2011 :  3:10:45 PM  Show Profile
Kathleen Horton (Kat38, #2695) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an intermediate level Horse Dreams badge.

"I researched Mustangs and checked out "The Soul of a Horse."

I learned the amazing and tragic history of these horses. I visited a mustang rescue to see these horses in person and meet the people who were personally helping the breed. I am hooked!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2011 :  3:19:08 PM  Show Profile
Kathleen Horton (Kat38, #2695) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an expert level Horse Dreams badge.

"I volunteered to clean out stalls and committed to a program that teaches women to work with horses.

This is a dream come true. I volunteer at Ever After Mustang Rescue under the guidance of Mona Gerome. I clean stalls, feed, water and learn basic horse care. I also joined the Women and Horses group to learn how to work with and train horses. I have learned so much from Mona and the horses, I am finding myself."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2011 :  3:33:11 PM  Show Profile
Kathleen Horton (Kat38, #2695) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge.

"I taught myself to crochet and crocheted a daisy chain scarf for my daughter.

It took a long time for me to figure out how to crochet. There are so many different techniques, I really struggle with the patterns. However, I was able to complete (on my second try), a beautiful daisy chain scarf for my daughter. I would like to get to the point where I can crochet curtains and edgings of linen and more."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2011 :  3:51:41 PM  Show Profile
Melissa Bailey (MissLiss, #724) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Carp-hen-try badge.

"I bought the book Dare To Repair and fixed a problematic toilet.

I love the book and how simply it breaks down quite a few home repairs so that I feel like I can really attempt them. Case in point, we have a toilet that has run for the last month and my Hubby wanted to call a plumber. After reading the book, I tried to fix it myself and after trying the first possible problem to no avail, I tried the second suggestion and solved my problem! No more running toilet and it only cost $2 which I'm sure was a BIG savings!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2011 :  3:59:27 PM  Show Profile
Elaine Berman (embchicken, #2882) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Little Squirts badge.

"As part of my spring cleaning I walked thorugh the house and oiled all of my squeaky doors. I couldn't believe how many I actually had. I went out to the garage and oiled all of our bike chains and looked up and realized that I had a line of neighborhood kids wanting their chains oiled!

Needless to say not only is my house squeak free - but so is the neighborhood!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2011 :  4:13:49 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an expert level Shopping Green badge.

"Instead of a bag swap or sew in, I wrote letters to manufacturers regarding their abundance of plastic packaging. The letters were printed on recycled school papers.

I shared my thoughts and information with my chapter, and will continue to share, as I receive responses back from my letters. I have also contacted my local schools in regards to recycling plastic, and will be requesting that our area recycling centers recycle more types of plastics. I shared with my chapter that an area orchard sells locally grown potatoes, and that they are sold in brown paper bags (vs. plastic)."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2011 :  4:18:41 PM  Show Profile
Krystle Townsend (countrymommy85, #2595) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Families Forever badge.

"We decided since our kids are too young for board games yet we could read at least one chapter out of a book once a week. After a few weeks we decided to do a kids book then once the kids were in bed we could read an adult book for us. We chose Louis L'Amour books.

This idea turned out great! Our kids get more time with us and once the kids go to bed we have our own time reading! I can not wait until this summer to read the western books outside by the campfire!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2011 :  4:22:51 PM  Show Profile
Krystle Townsend (countrymommy85, #2595) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an intermediate level Families Forever badge.

"We only have one TV in the house so it was pretty easy keeping track of our viewing time for a week. Our total TV time a week in the pre-spring is 6 hours a week.

We decided to listen to the radio more for the news instead of watching it on tv. I, personally watch 2 hours a week when my two favorite shows are on, which are not on in the summer time. Even if they were on in the summer I don't think I would watch them just because I'm too busy! Our time will be dramatically reduced as the weather continues to get warmer to the point we might watch one movie a week at tops. Last year in the summer we went almost a month without watching TV."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page