Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2011 :  12:50:27 PM  Show Profile
Tammy Schneider (Sidetracked, #2672) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Get It Together badge.

"Although this is something I like to do on a regular basis, it was nice to have a gentle nudge to do it one extra time to earn another badge. I cleaned out my storage cupboard and properly recycled some containers that get put there accidentally. I like to keep the lid stored on the matching container at all times, but when someone else unloads the dishwasher, or company is putting items away, it does get missed. So this was an opportunity to match them all up again.

My storage containers are stored in my bottom corner cupboard, you know the one that's endless. Sometimes all the good ones get pushed to the back and forgot about. So this is a great opportunity to bring them up to the front again so they may be used to their full potential."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2011 :  1:07:03 PM  Show Profile
Vicki M Krueger (FG Vicki, #2646) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Secret Life of Bees badge.

"I read the book the "The Secret Life of Bee's " prior to starting this Merit Badge, I then watched the trailer for the movie "Vanishing Bee's." After watching the trailer I looked for a place to see the entire movie and was not able to find a location near us. At our Community Garden meeting we discussed purchasing the DVD to show at our monthly movie night and decided that it probably didn't meet our criteria. I'm still hoping that there will be a viewing somewhere close so I can see the entire movie. Because we have only been working and living on our new property for a little over 2 years I planted several new herbs in my orchard (around the base of the tree's) this winter. I planted Sage, Rosemary, Oregano and Chamomile plants, I also planted seeds of Calendula and Dill.

So far the plants I planted are doing well, all of them are showing life and as the weather has been warming I'm beginning to see new growth on all the herbs. The seeds have not yet started to come up. This will be the 3rd year since I have planted my orchard, have 19 different fruit trees and are planting 8 new trees this year as well as 6 new elderberry shrubs. We have a large population of wild honeybee's where we live and looking forward to seeing them when our tree's begin to bloom. I'm starting on both the intermediate and advanced levels of this merit badge."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2011 :  1:16:42 PM  Show Profile
Scarlett Winters (silver3wings, #2044) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Unprocessed Kitchen badge.

"My household goes through way too many chips. So, I found some recipes for healthy snacks. My first experiment was with banana chips. I just sliced a banana in 1/8” thick slices and put in the dehydrator for seven hours at 135 degrees.

They are a hit! They are sweet without added sugar and do not have the sodium bisulfite or other additives often found in store-bought dried fruits."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2011 :  1:22:03 PM  Show Profile
Scarlett Winters (silver3wings, #2044) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Going Green badge.

"*I’ve removed all of the toxic cleaners from my home, and have replaced them with “green” ones. My favorites are good old baking soda and vinegar.
*I’ve been using It’s Easy Being Green by Crissy Trask to journal and record the “greening” in my life. I purchased a copy and donated it to the local food pantry for their lending library.
*Green cleaning mission statement: This is a green home. We strive to research and use only products that are friendly to the environment, people, and pets. We lovingly educate others about the importance of cleaning green.

I brought in a “green” all-purpose cleaner to work and asked them to try using it. The boss said she might have the cleaning crew switch to using this one instead of the more toxic ones."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2011 :  1:29:31 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48 #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an expert level Carp-hen-try badge.

"Going hand-in-hand with the remodel project for my Sewing Center is the completion of my workshop.

Because of my home-based business it became necessary to have my own shop for projects. There was the need for storage space for materials/supplies, a tremendous need for work space and the ability to have multiple things in progress and not have to move or put any of it away before completed.

There is some purchased and installed shelving, but I also repurposed light box frames and old wooden apple boxes (from my family farm) into shelving and storage. My husband had an executive size desk in his workshop that he gave me to use as my work table. It is perfect because it has a HUGE work surface with pull-outs and lots of drawer space.

This shop is for storage of fabric and sewing supplies that are overflow from my Sewing Center (and sewing business). This is where I work on all other projects such as papercrafts, journal-making, beading, painting, etc.

Absolutely wonderful to have my "own place"!!!

I have also helped my husband finish is 35 ft. geodesic dome workshop where he does his knifemaking and woodturning.

And, also helped a neighbor complete a wheelchair accessible sunroom for a disabled family member.

Because both my husband and myself are "creative inventors" we will always be doing just that . . creating and inventing!!!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2011 :  1:36:43 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48 #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an expert level First Aid badge.

"First Aid/CPR status updated!

ADDITIONAL TRAINING includes:

OXYGEN EQUIPMENT:
- setup, clean, maintain and administer oxygen therapy via concentrator and portable canisters.
- assisting individuals in proper oxygen flow rate setting with regulators and conserving devices.
- changing cannula, tubing, connectors and other fittings per the proper usage schedule.
- teaching family members what is pertinent to assist the oxygen-user and signs to watch for if they are having difficulties.

NEBULIZER EQUIPMENT:
- setup, maintain and clean nebulizer equipment.
- administer nebulized medications properly
- change tubing and other fittings per the proper usage schedule

SUCTION EQUIPMENT:
- setup, maintain and clean suction equipment.
- proper useage with a patient needing suctioning
- change tubing and other fittings per the proper usage schedule.

CENTRAL LINES:
- administer IV medications through a central line
- maintain the line with adequate flushings
- change the dressing, cap and tubing as per proper usage schedule

The ADDITIONAL TRAINING components were required for my work as a caregiver for an individual with a severe traumatic brain injury.
These are also components that I have provided training for to other caregivers and family members.

For this disabled individual, and many others, this could mean life or death."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2011 :  1:49:44 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48 #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an expert level Woman-at-Arms badge.

"There are three main things that we use our firearms for: RODENT CONTROL and PREDATOR PATROL (control if necessary)and PERSONAL PROTECTION

PREDATOR PATROL is sort of at the top of the list currently.
There has been at least one mountain lion on the prowl in our neighborhood all winter. He has caused nearly fatal injury to one of our neighbor's (my closest farmgirl friend) horses.
It is now time for lambing and calving so our "patrol" is even more vigilant.

Other neighbors have been concerned about their dogs being attacked. So it is a neighborhood-wide patrol and I've personally "hooked up" with my neighbor farmgirl friend to join in on this patrol.

We know that there are bears right here as well and soon they will be out on the prowl as well. (Their scat has been seen more than once within just a few few of my house!)

RODENT CONTROL: we have hundreds and hundreds of prairie dogs and they destroy the fields. So we go "prairie dog hunting" and I have done that with my daughter. We don't necessarily consider them to be life-threatening unless they are rabid and bite a dog or one of us.
So, we do engage in efforts to eliminate their population as well.

PERSONAL PROTECTION: there are no current "active" concerns but we are still diligent about preparedness.

(Wild Game Hunting is something we do as a family and my farmgirl daughter but not possible this time of year)

Gun safety, proper care and maintenance and proper handling and usage have been and always will be carefully observed and practiced in our household. And our daughter, now an adult and gunowner herself, has been taught these practices as well.

Firearms have always been owned and used by my family and my husband's family. They are not a "new" element in our lives."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2011 :  1:56:09 PM  Show Profile
Lorrae Moon (moonshines, #1649) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Aprons badge.

"I have made many full aprons most from a pattern. I have ventured and made some this winter using bits and pieces from more than one pattern. I have gone out of my box and added a bunch of ruffles, and rick rack. I love to give aprons for gifts and have a new one for me.

They have turned out great I find that I buy material just for aprons on many of my trips to the fabric store. Many of my aprons have been reversible."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2011 :  2:27:30 PM  Show Profile
Tammy Schneider (Sidetracked, #2672) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Horse Dreams badge.

"We are very fortunate to operate a business that requires horses. We have a variety of horses, some purebred and some mixed breeds. The Norwegian Fjords are a very special and favorite breed for us, we own one full bred and one mixed breed Fjord. They have a very strong work ethic, gentle disposition and a personality that makes them loved by all who are around them.

We see many of our horses daily and enjoy spending time with them, either riding, trimming feet, or preparing them for work. I spoke of the Fjord earlier, but I look forward to researching some of the different breeds we own for the intermediate badge."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2011 :  2:45:44 PM  Show Profile
Tammy Schneider (Sidetracked, #2672) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Build It Green badge.

"As a decorator by trade, this is another one of the badges that is an on-going task for me. I love to decorate "organically," I am always adding new vases or crocks of willows and pussy willows. I also like to use shed animal antlers in decorating. One more favorite is bowls, buckets and containers of pine cones. All of these items are readily available for me in the outdoors and best of all they're FREE!!

I love the look of an organic, green, natural and simple home. I enjoy it when guests comment on the welcoming, relaxed and warm feeling they get when visiting our home. It's comforting for them as well as for me."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2011 :  3:05:57 PM  Show Profile
Tammy Schneider (Sidetracked, #2672) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Embroidery badge.

"I have completed many "reproduction" samplers for myself. A favorite trait of mine is adding the name of a grandmother or family member to the bottom of the sampler. I just completed one for a good friend of mine. I researched her grandmother's name and added it to the bottom of the sampler to make it appear that she was the stitcher. I also recently helped teach her how to stitch "reproduction" style. She stitched the names of her family members on to stockings I helped her make from old wool blankets. They look amazing.

We both got a little emotional when I gave her the sampler. She especially liked that I added the name of her grandmother at the bottom.
The sampler had the alphabet (upper and lower case), a row of numbers, various rows of cross stitches, french knots and vines, it also included a small house, tree and some grass stitches.
But to my surprise, the thing she liked the best about the sampler, is that she could use it to look at the letters, numbers and stitching for future reference when she makes her first project."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2011 :  3:20:08 PM  Show Profile
Laurie Lemieux (Montrose Girl, #1587) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Unprocessed Kitchen badge.

"I made a batch of granola. We use it as cereal, snack and in bread. I love the homemade taste and I know everything in it.

I have a hard time keeping it in the house. It tastes yummy and we've started sharing it with family."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2011 :  3:28:42 PM  Show Profile
Jonna Nesbella (Scout, #2452) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge.

"I chose a simple half apron with three pockets from a pattern. It has an applique heart and I added one of my grandmother's buttons to make it extra special!

I like the way it turned out! The sash is long enought to wrap around the front."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2011 :  3:34:24 PM  Show Profile
Jonna Nesbella (Scout, #2452) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Scrapbooking badge.

"I made a scrapbook of my Daughter in Law's baby shower and gave it to her at her birthday party on March 6th!

It turned out nice and she was very surprised! This is one of the pictures from her scrapbook."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2011 :  3:41:13 PM  Show Profile
Jonna Nesbella (Scout, #2452) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level What's Your Beef? badge.

"Our Farmgirl Group watched a few videos on grass fed beef. Then we researched www.eatwild.com as a group and then again on our own. We exchanged notes and ideas about the topic.

This was a great learning experience! In the process, Eat Wild led us to find farms that we plan to visit and hopefully start purchasing our meat from! It also opened my eyes to CSA - who knew? I requested a brochure on a CSA from a local farmer and hopefully will be signed up for this coming season!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2011 :  4:15:33 PM  Show Profile
Breanna Helgesen (Breanna, #2507) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge.

"I found an adorable pattern for crocheted "rag dolls" in a book from the library. They were very simple, and when the family sat down to watch a movie or read aloud, I grabbed my needle and yarn, and made legs, arms, the head, and body, finally sewing them all together and then putting on the final touches (hair, eyes, etc.)
I also taught my little sister how to make a simple chain. She made jump ropes and Christmas tree decor! :-)

They turned out so cute! I gave one to my little sister (5 yrs old) and one to my little brother (3 yrs old). They loved them! My brother's was a boy and had a crocheted ball cap, and my sister's was a girl and had yarn braids. She named her "Charlotte" like Laura Ingall's doll. :-)"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2011 :  4:31:41 PM  Show Profile
Darrellyn Barrett (Alzadamae, #2835) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I made a sewing book with a recycled place mat which depicts farm animals. I also recycled an old emboderied kitchen towel, lace scrapes, a felted old sweater cut to fit the book. Then I made a little craft felt scissor case. I used three different thread colors- white, blue, purple, buttons sewing theme embllishmnents, and I made a place for needles, and threads.

I think the project turned out wonderful and I loved the fact that it is made with recycled fabrics. It's sturdy structure and size allow for easy take along in a purse or sewing bag."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2011 :  4:41:22 PM  Show Profile
Darrellyn Barrett (Alzadamae, #2835) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Knitting badge.

"Now that I know how to knit and purl, I tried a new knitting stich pattern. Then I sewed the two pieces together to create a guest book. I attached a wooden leaf button and tie string. Then I sewed homemade paper to the inside including pockets for more paper on which my guest can sign any message they'd like upon their visit to my farm.

I believe this project turned out well enough that I like displaying it for my guest to sign. Its pretty, the style is simple and anyone learning to knit can do it. I taught my daughter to knit and now she wants to make a guest book too."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2011 :  4:48:37 PM  Show Profile
Darrellyn Barrett (Alzadamae, #2835) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Gratitude badge.

"I have been noticing the beauty of my surroundings and the blessings I recieve each day, and all the simple pleasures I enjoy. I made myself a farmgirl gratitude journal and have been writing in it evey day for 2 months recording all the people, things, situations, and blessings that come my way.

I like the journal very much it is a reminder of the good things in my life."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2011 :  12:29:42 PM  Show Profile
Melissa Bailey (MissLiss, #724) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an expert level Shopping Green badge.

"I made a few bags for party favors for my daughter's 5th birthday party. I also posted about this on the forum.

I chose to make book bags to give out at my daughter's party to hold favors. My daughter and I love to go to the library and the bookstore. I have my own Library bag, but my daughter likes to carry her own. So when we bought her a book at the bookstore, she would always insist on getting a bag for her book, not putting it in my reusable bag. So since her party was My Little Pony themed, I embroidered a character onto the pocket of the bag I made. My daughter loves her new bag, we are teaching her friends about bringing your bag with you to the store and hopefully will be keeping lots of plastic out of the landfill!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2011 :  12:41:08 PM  Show Profile
Robin Armstrong Miller (birdie71, #1301) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an expert level Aprons badge.

"I crafted two matching aprons. I got the idea for the shape from another apron I have but freehanded all the parts. I actually made them to give to two different people...my mom, CJ, and Rosa, a friend who I call my Mexican mama. CJ crafts so many aprons for so many others that I wanted her to have her own. Rosa is our school cook and always wears aprons to cook in. Both of these farmgirls need to have their own purple apron! That's the material I chose since it is all of our favorite color!
I forgot to have either of these special ladies model their apron so I had my husband do it! What a good sport!

I gave CJ her apron at Christmas and Rosa's for her birthday! Making and giving these aprons to these two women has been such an honor because both of these women are absolutely true blue through and through farmgirls!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2011 :  12:51:57 PM  Show Profile
Sue Elseth (Vintage Sue, #2647) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level The Secret Life of Bees badge.

"It seems somehow fitting that this will be my first merit badge. Gardening has always spoke to me on a spiritual level, and a couple of years ago I was finally able to put in my dream garden which features antique roses, herbs, perennials and raised beds for growing veggies and such. One entire area is devoted to bee balm, and herbs such as lavender, lemon balm and mint are everywhere, creating a wonderful sanctuary for the visiting bees that keep me company while I work in the garden. My mother and step dad have been beekeepers for about 7 years now and have been providing gentle encouragement for us to set up some hives. Through them I had heard about Colony Collapse Disorder, something they had experienced first hand - just heartbreaking. The trailer for the movie Vanishing of the Bees really gives the sense of urgency everyone should feel about CCD. People really just don't realize how important bees are to our ecosystem. I have to admit though that even after making the decision to put in the hives (bees come in May!!), working with my mom to extract honey, attending beekeeping classes with my husband and reading all the technical info he passed my way, it wasn't until I read The Secret Life of Bees that the idea of actually becoming a beekeeper really touched my heart. Thank you so much for recommending such a wonderful book! I am so looking forward to my adventure of beekeeping, and know that theses amazing creatures have many life lessons to teach me.

I am submitting this having just finished the book The Secret Life of Bees. I spent time in my garden today, and really am looking at it with new eyes, considering each plant and planning for what else I can put in to entice the bees. The trailer for the Vanishing of the Bees movie is so moving that I am going try and find a copy of the movie to view in entirety. At the school where I teach special education, the 2nd grade always does a unit on insects. I am thinking that I will have much to share about my adventures with bees."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2011 :  1:00:36 PM  Show Profile
Robin Armstrong Miller (birdie71, #1301) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Scrapbooking badge.

"Every time I hear of anyone I know that is having a baby, I order a baby book from my mom. This is the signature gift that I give to the mom-to-be. She creates the cover and sometimes a page in the book. Each is a unique creation. I recently through a baby shower for a friend. I took pictures and kept some of the memoirs from the shower. I then scrapbooked these things for her and will be giving to her.

The book arrived the day of the shower. I showed it to my friend. She loves it! When I ordered it, I specifically asked for no monkeys! My friend doesn't like monkeys! I told her that I was going keep it and scrapbook the shower for her. I told her when I finished I would give it to her. She is about to have her baby boy. We are all very excited!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2011 :  1:31:11 PM  Show Profile
Dawn Perry (windswept, #2493) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"My family has always had chickens on our small hobby farm. We presently have 11 egg laying chickens, GOLDEN BUFFS are our favorite!! We also raise 50 chickens a year for meat. This year we are increasing that number to 100, so that my daughters (FARMGIRLS!), and their families will be able to fill their freezers too. Our chickens free range when we are home, and have a nice run to go out in when we are not. All of our feed is non-medicated and is as organic as we can get.

New baby chickens will be arriving next week, we have our little chick pen all set up in the garage. Can't wait for them to arrive. Every year I take pictures of the chicks, they are so cute!!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2011 :  1:42:09 PM  Show Profile
Brenda Pidgeon (BrendaLou, #2818) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level BakeOver MakeOver badge.

"I first heard of BakeOver recipes from MaryJane's Ideabook. This is a great flexible way to feed my family good wholesome food! My family doesn't care for "new" recipes though so I wasn't sure how this would all go over. I decided to try a dessert BakeOver first. I invited them all over for dinner of roast beef, potatoes and corn - standard fair at our home. And for dessert, I fixed my Peach BakeOver topped with vanilla ice cream.

It was delicious and I have requests for more! I am a definite fan of this way of cooking and am anxious to try new recipes!"

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page