Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2011 :  12:07:33 PM  Show Profile
Susan Chenoweth (coloquilter, #2678) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Get It Together badge.

"Today I cleaned out my kitchen cabinets. I sorted all of my storage containers and matched all of the lids with the containers. I re-purposed several lidless containers as drawer organizers in my craft room and several more went to my husbands garage for use there.
I sorted my dish towels and turned several into rags for the laundry room and garage. I found a new way to roll the towels and cloths so they fit more neatly in the drawer.
I also cleaned out my baking cupboard. I had a box of baking soda that was expired but I decided it would be perfect to use for tub cleaner. I saved several spice jars to reuse for pins, buttons and other small things in my sewing kit project.
Last I cleaned out my utensil drawer. I pulled everything out and placed the items that I was positive I didn't use in a donate box. The rest of the items I placed in a box that I am keeping on my counter for now. I decided that as I need an item I will take it from the box and after using it I will replace it in the drawer. At the end of the month I will put the box in a closet and wait another month, and anything left in the box will then will be donated.

My Cabinets look great! Tonight, while putting away dinner I didn't have to dig for lids! I have a ton of extra room. I also noted that I need a new pastry sheet and I have a ton of new found space. This has inspired me to do more organizing!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2011 :  12:14:06 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an expert level Unprocessed Kitchen badge.

"Gatherings in our home that involve meals and/or food preparation are always focused on unprocessed, healthy and organic, homegrown if possible.

These gatherings include family or friends and many times a combination of both. And we prepare a wide variety of dishes for these gatherings.

FRUIT: We grown our own apples, peaches, pears, cherries, apricots, & plums. We freeze and/or can them for winter use.
No matter the season, this fruit is just put through the juicer and made into our own juice beverages . . nothing added, not even sugar.
This fruit is also used to create our own ChillOver desserts with MaryJanes ChillOver powder . . nothing else!

VEGETABLES: We grown our own vegetables and freeze/can for winter use. We dry our tomatoes and use them in EVERYTHING! Soups, juices, sauces casseroles . . whatever you can think of. Only other added ingredient would be our own homegrown herbs (fresh or dried).

PIZZA PARTY: Our homemade pizza is a favorite for our gatherings. Crust is typically made from our own sourdough starter (it is made from organic ingredients) and other organic ingredients, including whole grain flour. We make our own pesto or marinara sauce bases with olive oil and homegrown herbs. Toppings include fresh vegetables and, if we add meat, it is our own beef. Our chicken comes from a local farmer. We do NOT use processed meats such as pepperoni.
Yummy, healthy pizza!!!!

Our daughter has learned how to cook "unprocessed". Our son-in-law is learning too . . and that is a major accomplishment. He had no idea how to cook creatively or healthy or "unprocessed".

It is our goal to continue to eat healthy and "unprocessed". A person just feels better, stays healthy and it's way more fun! Every Sunday, especially, is a new adventure!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2011 :  12:22:55 PM  Show Profile
Tammy Austin (Tammy Marie, #2309) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Crochet badge.

"My aunt taught me how to do a shell stich and I crocheted an afaghan for my mom and dad.

Mom was pleased with it. I have another aunt that wants me to help her learn to shell."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2011 :  09:59:06 AM  Show Profile
Susan Chenoweth (coloquilter, #2678) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Quilting badge.

"As children for Christmas, my father built my sister and me each a doll bed. My mother and my aunt Lena sewed the mattress, pillows and quilts.
For Christmas my sister decided to refinish her doll bed as a gift to her daughter.
I decided to take scraps left from another project and make a quilt. My scraps had already been sewn into small squares with one dark and one light half. I sewed four squares with the lights all to the center to form a block. 36 blocks were sewn together with a navy blue border and backing simple quilting.

It looked great! I also made a fresh mattress, pillow and other bedding to make it a perfect present for a little girl."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2011 :  10:07:40 AM  Show Profile
Bea Campbell (quiltingbea, #2575) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Quilting badge.

"For my first quilt I made a quilt for my friend Hunter Girl as a going away gift. She's kind of a tomboy and loves to hunt. When I was at the fabric store, I saw a panel with a deer and knew I had to buy it and make a quilt for her. I used flannel as my backing because it's soft and warm.

I finished the quilt two days before her last day at work. She just loved it and said she would use it to curl up in front of TV."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2011 :  10:17:05 AM  Show Profile
Karen Wales (Lady Woodworker, #2419) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Community Service badge.

"For the past four years I have been a "Big Sister" in the Big Brothers Big Sisters program. I have given more than 80 hours of service to this program, meeting with my "little" one hour per week over the course of four school years. Each week, I have documented our meetings, during which I have taught her to make pom-poms, do any number of creative "high-fives" and complex, secret handshakes, run (and lost) many running races with her, helped her with her knitting and to grow her vocabulary. We do a lot of reading and crafts together. We make cards, Christmas ornaments, and do all sorts of creative things with glitter glue. Because of the strict rules of the program, I am not allowed to tell you my little's name or provide a picture but I thought this experience might be worthy of a merit badge.

Our journey is not over. This spring, we will build bird houses. I am preparing wood pieces now. I am a woodworker so I will pre-cut all the parts. Then, my little and I will assemble and paint our houses. I did not see a category for this but maybe this will also qualify for some other merit badge? Whether it does or not, it feels so good to know that I am making a difference in a little girl's life...

My little and I have some history now. She was very shy when we met but now we're great pals."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2011 :  10:24:50 AM  Show Profile
Susan Domer (#2141) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Community Service badge.

"In Dec. 2009 I cooked the first meal for our community soup kitchen. A few ladies from St. Michaels thought there just might be a need for a soup kitchen because of the unemployment and because some of our older friends on a very limited income. That first Tuesday I cooked chicken with homemade noodles, we served approximatively 30 people. We now have increased our numbers to over one hundred and not only serve on Tuesday but on Thursday as well. Next week our MJF sisters in the Yampa Valley Hen and Chicks are going to be cooking and serving, I am so proud that my sisters picked "my" pet project to serve.

I must say that I look forward to cooking and serving every week and I have found that my family has grown. The Craig Daily Press has taken pictures and written us up on more than one occasion. I however will not be sending you any pictures, I don't feel comfortable sending pictures of people who are in a position of needing a free meal, they have become my friends and I feel that they might want some privacy."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2011 :  10:33:59 AM  Show Profile
Tammy Schneider (Sidetracked Girl, #2672) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I have been dedicated to using reusable shopping bags for quite some time now. I have a handmade one, that I may say is my favorite. I also enjoy purchasing bags when traveling, they are a great item to collect and an even better reminder of the travels I've taken.

As a country girl, one of my favorite pastimes is collecting, and I would consider my reusable shopping bags a collection. There is a variety from favorite markets and grocery stores, to places visited. I love using my reusable bags and I must say it has become a wonderful habit for me."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2011 :  10:44:41 AM  Show Profile
Tammy Schneider (Sidetracked Girl, #2672) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"This was an easy one for me, I have been collecting buttons for quite some time now. I remember when my Grandmother passed away a number of years ago, each of us were asked what memento we would like to have of hers, no question, I asked for her tin of buttons. To this day I will take some time and look through them, my fondest memory is seeing the buttons she made into "coins" for us grandchildren to use when playing cards. She used a small piece of first aid tape on the button and marked the value on the button, everything from a penny, all the way up to a quarter. I have also been fortunate enough to have been given many buttons, and scaled garage sales and auctions looking to find that special treasure for a real deal. Just a while ago I couldn't refuse a jar of buttons at a thrift store to add to my collection which now takes up many antique gallon jars and collector tins.

Like I mentioned earlier, my collection now takes up 2 gallon jars, 3 quart jars and 3 collector tins, not to mention the containers and boxes situated around the house that contain some of the more special buttons. I would consider myself the go-to girl if a friend is looking for that specific button to finish a hand made bag or sewing project, the hunt for the perfect button often turns into an afternoon of reminiscing and curiosities of the buttons past lives and travels. Sometimes it is the button that determines the project instead of the reverse, and that is the best part."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2011 :  10:55:36 AM  Show Profile
Susan Smith (#277) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Embroidery badge.

"I cross stitched a sampler purchased at the Grand Canyon."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2011 :  11:00:16 AM  Show Profile
Susan Smith (#277) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I have way more than 6 reusuable bags! I have been using them for 2 years or more. I have bags from just about every store I shop at."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2011 :  11:25:38 AM  Show Profile
Susan Smith (#277) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"I use vinegar for everything. I learned to make "Vinegar of the Four Thieves." The vinegar and herbs combine to make a wonderful cleaner that has very nice disinfectant properties, and leaves behind no odor but clean (once the vinegar smell is gone.) I found that vinegar, baking soda, borax, olive oil and lemon juice will clean almost anything.

I love using natural products to clean. I feel better since I quit using chemicals."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2011 :  11:31:32 AM  Show Profile
Cathy Pearson (Catherine L, #2428) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Gratitude badge.

"On my blog I logged the things I was grateful for. I included pictures on some of them. It said to do it everyday for a month; it took me longer than a month because of various things in life, but I did log thirty days worth. http://my-fairhaven.blogspot.com/

I did realize how much I have to be grateful for."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2011 :  11:38:39 AM  Show Profile
Dawn Perry (windswept, #2493) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"I found many recipes for cleaning products online and from some magazines. I have already made up some laundry detergent and have "homemade" window cleaner.

The cleaners have worked great so far, I'm experimenting with furniture polish now."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2011 :  11:44:35 AM  Show Profile
Dawn Perry (windswept, #2493) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an expert level Shopping Green badge.

"I had an abundance of reuseable bags (but I will never turn down a new one!), so I passed them on to friends who could use them. Many of my co-workers bring their lunches to work, and then throw the containers away. I've been encouraging them to go "green!"

My co-workers have taken to the idea of going green with lunches! Many bring reusable containers (many are Chinese food containers) and most of us have brought in their own mugs, coffee anyone?"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2011 :  11:31:39 AM  Show Profile
April Hager (goldtowngal, #1044) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Let's Get Physical badge.

"I've been a vegetarian for over 20 years and feel that I make particularly wise food choices maintaining my weight consistently and reducing health concerns. However it's easy to slip up with portions and lack of exercise when expecting. With this my 6th pregnancy at age 40, I decided to continue my interval training exercise routine of 30 minute workouts, every other day as long as possible through my pregnancy. So far, so good as I'm at 25 weeks and only gained a healthy 16 pounds and feel great.

So far, so good as I'm at 25 weeks and only gained a healthy 16 pounds and feel great. I expect a very speedy recovery if I can keep this up through post-partum. Glad for MJ's encouragement to do this for a badge to remember my efforts by!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2011 :  11:41:09 AM  Show Profile
Susan Chenoweth (coloquilter, #2678) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"For years I have begged my husband to let me have a small flock of chickens. March of 2010 he surprised me with a dozen fertilized eggs and an incubator.
Our oldest grandson was turning 5 and he thought it would be fun for Garrett to try hatching the chicks. Truth be told, I think he wanted to.
We set up the incubator so the humidity level and temperature were correct. We carefully washed the eggs, placed them in the the incubator and crossed our fingers.
The chicks began hatching on the scheduled day and within 24 hours we had a dozen fluffy black and yellow chicks.
I enjoyed watching them grow and have spent countless hours watching them chase grasshoppers and other bugs.
This winter when greens were in short supply, I started sprouts for them and would watch for reduced produce and in turn I receive on average of 6 eggs a day.

I do have a desire to know where my food is coming from and how it is produced, but I have decided that the butchering part is not for me. I have read many articles on how to do it quickly and in the most humane way possible. At some point in the future, I may, but for now we are enjoying all of those fresh eggs."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2011 :  11:48:09 AM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an intermediate level Know Your Roots badge.

"My maiden name is: GARDNER, which is a sept of the GORDON clan, and is a Highland (Scotland) clan.

My mother's maiden name was: GILMAN, which is traced back to IRELAND

My married name is: ARMSTRONG, which is one of the most notable Border (Scotland) clans.

Very extensive research has been done for all families and my ancestry has been traced back to SCOTLAND and IRELAND. While the ARMSTRONG heritage isn't mine personally, it is that for my children and has been traced back to SCOTLAND.

I found the National Archives website interesting and helpful. I have several huge 3-ring binders filled with all the Family Tree charts and information from the research for all families.

We have the opportunity to travel to Scotland on three separate trips, and to Ireland on two of those. We have visited the clan seats for both the GARDNER and ARMSTRONG clans and have done further research there.

We have also made connections with others with the ARMSTRONG name who are residents of Scotland.

Photo is of my oldest brother and me in a visit to HUNTLY Castle in Huntly, Scotland. It is the seat of the Gordon (Gardner sept) clan."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2011 :  11:52:31 AM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an expert level Know Your Roots badge.

"As noted in previous applications the research for my family and my husband's family has been extensive. We have very detailed and involved records of that research.

I made copies of these records for my daughter for her own reference.

Because my parents and aunts and uncles are gone and my father-in-law and many of his siblings are also gone it has become more and more important for the "story-telling" and sharing of the things we've learned about our family and our heritage.

Of special note is the fact that my mother-in-law was adopted and no effort was ever made to research her biological roots. This would be important to my husband and my daughter if it was possible to do.

My oldest sister continues to update the recordkeeping for my family. Just in the very recent past, when a number of my family was together we talked more about the family members, the new additions to the family, relevant history and happenings.

We stay current with each other and share information and stories by regular printed/written mail and emails.

It has been very rewarding to engage in this process of learning about our families and roots and more about all those who came before us. It has been educational and fun to "pull together" more as families."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2011 :  11:58:07 AM  Show Profile
Kathleen Horton (#2695) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an intermediate level Going Green badge.

"I am making my own laundry detergent, soap, and cleaners now. Never thought it was so easy.

This is great, I am saving money, having fun and keeping my family safe."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2011 :  12:03:55 PM  Show Profile
Kathleen Horton (Kat38, #2695) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I have collected more than six shopping bags that I have been using while shopping.

This is great, it saves room in the pantry where I use to store all the plastic and paper grocery bags."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2011 :  12:11:17 PM  Show Profile
Kathleen Horton (Kat38, #2695) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"I am cleaning with all homemade cleaners. I have replaced all my cleaners with homemade products.

I feel like I have a bit of control over my household by making my own cleaners. I have insight into the products that I am using. I love it."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2011 :  12:16:36 PM  Show Profile
Kathleen Horton (Kat38, #2695) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Know Your Food badge.

"I have been adding vegetables to my families meals everywhere I can. I read and loved "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" by Barbara Kingsolver. I began sprouting my own sprouts and use them to feed my family fresh food in the long Maine winter, but also cheap easy treats for my rabbit. I buy oil from a local family that has a farm in Greece.

Growing sprouts is a delight. It is wonderful having fresh available food during the long Maine winter. It feels like spring in a jar."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2011 :  12:28:28 PM  Show Profile
Kathleen Horton (Kat38, #2695) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Organic on a Budget badge.

"I have started buying locally grown, seasonal vegetables. To save my budget I have committed to making most of our food from scratch. I make all my own breads, tortillas, baked fries, even sodas myself. I have removed 90% of the processed foods from our home.

This has been great for the family. My son loves homemade food, and loves that I make our food from scratch. He sasy it is "cool," what could be more rewarding?"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2011 :  11:13:35 AM  Show Profile
Kathleen Horton (Kat38, #2695) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Bustin' Out badge.

"I was already eating organic with some foods, but I took it a step further and converted over 50% of our food to organic and local food. I have been adding at least one organic food product to our diet a week, mostly more than one for a month.

It took a little looking around, but I organized my shopping list to help me find local organic food in my area. I have to visit several farms and markets, but I enjoy the smaller shops and ability to talk to those providing my food. I feel like a part of my community. I love knowing I have a part in my childrens health and they are having fun too!"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page