Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16279 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16279 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2011 :  4:06:23 PM  Show Profile
Tommily King (#2165) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Going Green badge.

"I removed all cleaners in our home and garage. I went online and on MaryJanes web site and book to find ways to clean, etc. without using those products. I've made a copy of the journal I made with those ideas and gave one to my grand-daughter and daughter-in-law.
Our Mission Statement:
We are dedicated to using only natural ingredients to clean, fertilize and maintain our home, yard and vehicles as green as possible.

At first it seemed like alot more work but as I've got in the habit it's working out well."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16279 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16279 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2011 :  4:11:31 PM  Show Profile
Tommily King (#2165) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I collected 8 reusable bags for shopping and always use them when shopping.

I love the fact that I don't have to return all those plastic bags to the store for recycling, I'm making bags that I can wash as I worry about the store-bought ones."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16279 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16279 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2011 :  4:15:05 PM  Show Profile
Tommily King (#2165) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"I have researched ways to clean my house without using toxic cleaners. Most of the recipes and hints for green cleaning came from the internet, but I've picked up hints from Mary Janes Farm magazine and other magazines, Mother Earth News, Martha Stewart, Good Housekeeping, etc.
I've committed to using vinegar cleaning windows and mirrors. Baking soda for sinks, etc.

It has been an experience cleaning with things that require more elbow grease but it is satisfying to know the products are not harming anything."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16279 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16279 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2011 :  4:18:49 PM  Show Profile
Tommily King (#2165) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I put together a sewing kit, including thread, buttons, scissors, needles, straight pins, safety pins and tape measure.

I've been married for 37 years so I had most of these things but they were scattered in various drawers, boxes, etc., so it took several days to find it all and get it in one place, a basket with a lid and handles so I can take it where I need it."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16279 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16279 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2011 :  4:43:46 PM  Show Profile
Tamara Burger (GrammyTammy, #2495) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Buttoned Up badge.

"My young cultivator and I made our button braclets today. We enjoyed spending time together and seeing all the different buttons we had together.

We really like them."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16279 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16279 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2011 :  4:49:31 PM  Show Profile
Judy Bowsher (Jubow, #2497) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Knitting badge.

"Having learned all my knitting skills from books, I completed the Seed Stitch Stripe washcloth from from the book "Knitter's Stash." And on a drive to AR, between NW OH and St. Louis, I knitted the 6 sided washcloth from "Mason Dixon Knitting." During this same trip I taught a daughter the necessary skills to make a simple scarf.

The first washcloth has a mistake which does not affect its function. The second one came out perfect, & I will be making it again."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16279 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16279 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2011 :  4:57:38 PM  Show Profile
Cheryle Duffy-Lehrer (shabbyms, #604) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Self-sufficiency badge.

"I brought out my two dehydrators and spoke to the girls about using them. I brought out my Ball canning book which has a great section on using the dehydrator in the back and has never failed me. We made the spice mixes from the Ideabook. We had "recipe" cards for the mixes and we used pretty but practical waxed paper bags to put them in and packaged everything in white paperbags that could be decorated.

All of the scents were heavenly. Especailly the items that we freshly ground with my spice grinder. The whole evening was a hoot because we were laughing when we realized that some of our pretty measuring spoons didn't work with our jars very well. Lets just say to spice farmgirl style is sometime a pinch or two more or less but always with a wink and a smile. I had also made some flavored oils from the mixes and marinated my meats with them while at work all day. This gave them lots of flavor while keeping them from sticking to the grill."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16279 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16279 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2011 :  11:06:22 AM  Show Profile
Faye Brown (#2216) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Community Service badge.

"Out of 3 differnt charities Bear Creek Assistant Ministries, Cert, and Copperfield Baptist; I chose Copperfield Baptist. They were working with Cypress Ministies for the "Toys For Toys" organization. For 3 days from 9am to 12pm I helped to register parents for picking up toys. I would introduce myself and set them at my table, chit chat about their life and what was going on. I would check their I.D. to make sure they were in the proper Zip Code and then assist with the scheduling for pick up. On the 4th day they came to pick up toys for their kids and I greeted them at the door and individually took them around (with a grocery cart) to claim toys and then to pick up a pre selected box of food for the family. I sat them at a table, offered them refreshments, some more chit chat, and prayer. I said my 'Merry Christmas' and good-byes, with hugs and kisses. It was a joyous occasion!

Volunteering is so refreshing and enjoyable, I love it. Everyone loves each other and you always feel close to those in need. The people were wonderful and thankful and all were gracious. They left happy and satisfied that they were not going to have the worse Christmas ever. So many had lost their jobs, I was surprised that here in Texas there were so many in need. I noticed that most, if not all of the women's hands were rough, dry and hard to the touch. I felt for them and thanked GOD for all of my blessings. Something as simple as hand lotion! Anyhow next year I'm going to make sure that we have a bottle of hand lotion for every woman who comes in that door!!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16279 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16279 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2011 :  11:19:41 AM  Show Profile
Amanda Henning (mamahenning, #2492) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Get It Together badge.

"I sorted out all of my storage containers and surprisingly only had one lid without a home! I put that in the recycling. But, I couldn’t stop there. I sorted and organized my son’s sippy cups. I found two cups that didn’t have all the parts, so they joined the lid in the recycling bin. Since I was on a roll, I also organized my oils, sauces, and spices so I can spend less time looking and more time cooking!

I am very happy with my organized kitchen!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16279 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16279 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2011 :  11:25:26 AM  Show Profile
Kathleen Lorentz (KathleenL, #1620) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an intermediate level Know Your Food badge.

"We've been eating as much organic as possible for over 20 years but I hadn't done anything about connecting with a CSA.

I've quit buying anything with high fructose corn syrup.

We've never had desserts with a meal so changing that habit wasn't an issue. We have replaced some of the other processed snack items that the kids used to eat on a regular basis with homemade versions.

At this point it doesn't work for our family to join a CSA but we will keep it in mind for the future.

We enjoyed listening to "Omnivore's Dilemma" on cd while working a large jigsaw puzzle. Well, I think I enjoyed it the most and some people just tuned it out. :-)

My daughter has been having fun in the kitchen baking cookies to replace the store bought ones that she used to eat."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16279 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16279 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2011 :  11:30:13 AM  Show Profile
Diana Vermillion (#2454) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I rummaged through all of my drawers and found most of the buttons. Then I went to good old Mom's sewing room for the rest to make a total of 50.

This was very easy to do and forced me to gather all the buttons into one neat container."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16279 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16279 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2011 :  11:34:52 AM  Show Profile
Diana Vermillion (#2454) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Little Squirts badge.

"I finally oiled the squeaky closet door! I usually keep everything well oiled but kept putting off the task. Now that that is done, I trekked to the garage to see if I missed anything from the fall. I also spray oiled the snow shovels to prevent the impending snow from sticking!

Now I don't freak when the closet door gets opened!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16279 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16279 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2011 :  11:39:06 AM  Show Profile
Diana Vermillion (#2454) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Get It Together badge.

"This was easy for me as I barely have any plastic containers. I stacked the few I have and sent the 2 lidless ones to the basement for a paint project.

Nice and neat! Thanks for the inspiration!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16279 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16279 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2011 :  11:43:34 AM  Show Profile
Diana Vermillion (#2454) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"I drive by a farm everyday and have never stopped in for their eggs. I had always wanted to and this badge gave me the inspiration.

I used to have a farmer deliver eggs until he died so it was nice to have farm fresh eggs again."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16279 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16279 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2011 :  11:47:41 AM  Show Profile
Diana Vermillion (#2454) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"I read several articles in the CLUCK about toxic free cleaners. I also already use a lot of these cleaners.

I use a lot of vinegar and tonic water and switched to an organic wood floor cleaner."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16279 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16279 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2011 :  11:56:08 AM  Show Profile
Gail Springman (gspringman, #486) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Safe Toys badge.

"I sewed five bean bag toys with chore sayings on them to give away.

They turned out okay. I hope to give them to our local women's shelter for the children that are there.
I sewed them of heavy denim like material and put rice inside."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16279 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16279 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2011 :  12:02:30 PM  Show Profile
Pilar Stevens (retasos2, #2498) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"I made a lavender/vinegar fabric softner, vinegar/orange kitchen cleaner and using baking soda with lavender oil to clean bathroom.

I love all the new products and will continue to use them, they sure do smell a lot better than the commercial stuff and my tub has never been so shinny."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16279 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16279 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2011 :  12:07:54 PM  Show Profile
Pilar Stevens (retasos2, #2498) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Community Service badge.

"I serve at a local community farm (Hobb's farm) not just as a field hand but I'm in change of creating posters to promote different events at the farm.

I love it! My children and I do it together and we have grown over 21,000 lbs of produce for local shelters."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16279 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16279 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2011 :  12:17:15 PM  Show Profile
Pilar Stevens (retasos2, #2498) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Little Squirts badge.

"I gave all the doors a good oiling and even did the sewing machine. Hubby was impressed!

No more squeaky bathroom door!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16279 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16279 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2011 :  12:24:52 PM  Show Profile
Nancy Marshall (nancym, #159) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Scrapbooking badge.

"I love to scrapbook! For my dear friends 40th birthday (we met when we were 11), I made her a scrapbook of our many adventures together growing up. I copied my old photos since I didn't want to lose them so now we both have copies.

It took me a while to finish it-I am a slow scrapper. I went to some crops at other people's homes as well as at scrapbook stores to find inspiration. I found that very helpful.

She said it was the nicest gift anyone has ever given her, which was all I needed to know!

The only downside was that I didn't have more photos of our younger days-I wish I or our parents had been scrapbookers-we would have had more photos of our childhood."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16279 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16279 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2011 :  12:33:57 PM  Show Profile
Beth Pierce (Tree Sister, #2755) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Horse Dreams badge.

"A friend and I were driving around one day, near a very large Amish Settlement in upstate New York. We saw some Belgian horses in a barnyard, and we stopped. While we were looking at them, she decided to take a picture of me, and I decided these would be the ones I would research.

I found they were brought to this country around 1901 and are the strongest draft horse. They rank second to Percherons as being the most popular. They are also very kind, gentle, and have a "willingness to work." The photo is my second experience with them, the first being when I walked my dog down my road to see some. We stopped at a fence and a horse behind it, bent down to look my dog in the face. The dog wasn't threatened and the horse didn't spook or act threatening; it just was curious. Since the experience with the dog, I'd been so curious about these beautiful animals."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16279 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16279 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2011 :  1:23:40 PM  Show Profile
Tamara Burger (GrammyTammy, #2495) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level BakeOver MakeOver badge.

"My young cultivator and I tried a BakeOver together. It was her first time cutting vegetables! It's an easy recipe for a child to remember (adults too!) We served it for dinner with our Grampa. Our vegetable included zucchini, Chinese cabbage, onion, peas. We added black beans, ham and taco seasoning.

Really yummy, I had to resist having thirds!!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16279 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16279 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2011 :  1:29:54 PM  Show Profile
Tamara Burger (GrammyTammy, #2495) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Pay It Forward badge.

"I was shocked to find that my husband and I spent more on eating out than groceries in January. That WILL be changing. Donated to the Food Bank of the Southern Tier."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16279 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16279 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2011 :  2:38:23 PM  Show Profile
Tamara Burger (GrammyTammy, #2495) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an intermediate level Pay It Forward badge.

"In December 2010 I organized a food collection in my quilting guild. Usually we give gifts to each other, but we all have so much!! It was time to break tradition. At our Christmas party we set up and decorated a tree and people placed their canned/nonperishable goods under the tree. Some people donated money.

We collected 80lbs of food! I delivered it to the food bank and was treated to the smiles of the workers there."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16279 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16279 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2011 :  2:53:54 PM  Show Profile
Regina Wasson (farmgirl, #1023) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an expert level Forage For Food badge.

"My husband and I set out today to learn what was in our back yard. We spent at least three hours out looking at the differnt plants and weeds. We found Henbit, Dollarweed, Platain. Lyreleaf Sage and even some mushrooms."

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page