texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2019 :  07:34:30 AM  Show Profile
I write letters, and I LOVE to receive letters. I keep them all. I also keep cards with hand-written sentiments. I have some now that are so precious, as their senders have passed on.

Funny thing is, most people I correspond with with letters are Farmgirls!

I have some letters written to my grandmother from her favorite sister, found in patterns I had inherited when my grandmother passed. I love them - connections to my long lost relatives I will never get to meet. It is very cool.

I feel sorry for my dd’s generation. Most of them do not know how to do a “signature”, only correspond through “text speak”, and can’t read cursive.

Letters are a small legacy we leave, don’t you think?

Here is a blog I wrote on this very subject:
http://www.farmgirlbloggers.com/13865#more-13865

Great topic, Alee!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155
Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
Chapter Leader, CT Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, Jan. 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blog
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Carole
New York
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2019 :  11:00:56 AM  Show Profile
I love to receive letters via snail mail. It forces me to sit down, enjoy the moment as I read the letter. I often think, with all of this technology with everyone writing e-mails, what it is going to do to our history. I do presentations on the subject of History of Women via the Needle & Thread and one of my presentations deals with letters a civil war soldier wrote to his family. I was fortunate to have been given access to these precious letters from a prior neighbour. If it wasn't for those letters I would know nothing about this individual. He is part of history and sadly today, we have very little social history. Sure dates and battles are import but more importantly are the letters from our soldiers ... not sure we have that today. Most people delete their e-mails. Social history is part of our history, it will be interesting to see how time and events will be presented.

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2019 :  8:30:39 PM  Show Profile
i love snail mail because you can go anywhere to read the letters. You can also send things in the mail, gifts, hankies,books, etc. It's also fun to see what special person is thinking of you.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

loribeck
True Blue Farmgirl

588 Posts

Lori
Alvordton 36
USA
588 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2019 :  8:02:43 PM  Show Profile
I was going thru some of my `boxes in the closet and came across the letters that my boys wrote to me when they were in the Army. I read every one of them over again. What a treasure those letters are to me. I love to see their handwriting and savor every word on each sheet of paper. It is something that I can pass on the their children one of these days when they get a little older.

Farmgirl 7774

Never miss a sunset

Lori Beck
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Do you write letters? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page