Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22896 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22896 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2008 :  7:43:09 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
My Grandmother LOVES to recieve a letter. She often writes back and I cherish the letters from her because I know all to soon that will be the only way I will see her handwriting.

Do you write letters to family, friends, strangers? I have been enjoying writing letters to friends and family these past few nights...now I just have to remember to mail them!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Please come visit Nora and I our our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com

wannabecountrybumpkin
True Blue Farmgirl

117 Posts

Christy
Bristow Virginia
USA
117 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2008 :  06:16:08 AM  Show Profile
That's so special. I think writing letters brings back some of that simplicity from the past. Emails are great but there's nothing like receiving a hand written letter.
Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2008 :  06:24:45 AM  Show Profile
Growing up I had penpals and wrote letters all the time!! i THINK WE HAD MORE DOWN TIME ON OUR HANDS BACK THEN!! nO CABLE T.V.COMPUTERS OR VIDEO GAMES!! LETTERS WOULD COME IN THE MAIL AND i WOULD WAIT FOR THE MAILMAN!! I REALLY NEED TO GET BACK IN THE HABIT! e MAIL HAS SORTA KILLED THAT OLD TIME ART!! I CAN FIRE OFF An email in 5 seconds as opposed to looking for stationary pen and stamps!!! But ahh... Nothing like a real letter!

Oh sorry!! I just realized the Caps lock button was on!! I'm not shouting at you!! Just too lazy to go back and change it!! Hugs!

"No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars,or sailed to an uncharted land or opened a new heaven to the human spirit." Helen Keller
Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2008 :  08:53:43 AM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
I try to write letters as often as possible. It's becoming a lost art of communication in our instant gratification society full of email.

Blessings....
Sarah

www.mustangsuzie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Firemama
True Blue Farmgirl

1731 Posts

Amanda
Medical Lake WA
USA
1731 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2008 :  09:18:44 AM  Show Profile  Send Firemama a Yahoo! Message
I havent in a long time, and would like to get back into it, but I know none of my family would write back,lol.

Mama to 2
I am who I am
FarmGirl# 20

http://myfarmdreams.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2008 :  12:20:33 PM  Show Profile
I love writing letters. My grandma and I started writing back and forth when I was a preteen. We still do. I also had penpals as a teenager, now I love writing to farmgirls!

My soul magnifies the Lord, And my spirit rejoices in God my Savior. Luke 1:46,47
www.beequilting.blogspot.com
http://beemoosie-picture-diary.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

a rose
True Blue Farmgirl

443 Posts

Linda
Waterford NY
USA
443 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2008 :  1:39:02 PM  Show Profile
I write to an 80 year old man who is a found 2nd cousin on my father's side. I also have a penpal who is the mother of one of our farmgirl friends.
The found cousin was found in a Vermont telephone book while I was in Vermont searching for ancestors in cemeteries. ( I am a diehard genealogist). I tore the page out of the phone book and wrote to the first name of interest. Two days later I get a call from this elderly gentlemen who had recieved the letter. He knew my father very well even though I had never met the man or even knew he exsisted. I made a point to go visit him about 10 years ago and we have been in touch ever since.

Remember me as a rose.
Go to Top of Page

Crafty Chic
True Blue Farmgirl

64 Posts

Melissa
West Plains MO
USA
64 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2008 :  1:11:46 PM  Show Profile  Send Crafty Chic a Yahoo! Message
I used to have lots of penpals in high school from meeting new friends at church camp. I haven't really had any penpals lately. I'm always looking though, b/c I believe that writing letters is so much more personal. I do use email and I keep in touch with a lot of friends that way. I also use blogs and forums to keep in touch with "internet friends" but my first choice is writing letters. So if any of you are interested in being penpals-let me know. Just email me at melissaluck@yahoo.com

Visit me at my other blogs:
family-fixins.blogspot.com
wwwmyblessedworld.blogspot.com
Visit our Etsy Store:
Heart2Home
www.heart2home.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2008 :  6:34:32 PM  Show Profile
I have not written a long letter in a long time. But I have a box full of letters from my sister dating back to the 1960's. Time was my sister and I exchanged letters of long volume. But now we email, daily, and I have to say I love that too. It is like instantly knowing how she is that day, and it makes me feel better. Each way of communication has it's value right? The best thing of all would be if I could see my sister face to face each day!!!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13

Edited by - jpbluesky on Mar 05 2008 6:36:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

farminmama
True Blue Farmgirl

63 Posts

Jen
Florida
USA
63 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2008 :  7:15:50 PM  Show Profile
I really enjoy writing letters. I don't write as much as I would like, but that is for lack of a pen-pal. I do write to one long-distance girlfriend, but she just calls me back on the phone. I like getting mail...happy mail...not bill mail. E-mail is great for the kind of friends here, but I still would like to write more letters. Just a little sentimental and nostalgic I guess.

Jen
sweetheart to Harley
mama to 3 beautiful angels...^i^ ^i^ ^i^
farmgirl Sister #151
Go to Top of Page

lehandworks
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Lisa
Carnation WA
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2008 :  01:20:05 AM  Show Profile
I am a Washington state native but my Dad moved our family to California when I was 6. We were all very close to our grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc... We lived in California for 9 years, coming up north every summer for 2 months at a time. My Mom would drive us in an old Plymouth Fury, sometimes driving straight through with the five of us kids! We all wrote letters to keep Gram posted on our daily life. She always wrote back and it was really exciting to get a letter in the mail. Somtimes she would tape a bunch of nickels or dimes inside the letter. In 1974 we moved back to Washington and one time when we were over at Gram's she pulled out this stack of letters from the 9 years we were down south. She had saved every one. They are a treasure and really give us a mini history of those growing up years. I love the computer as much as the next person, but agree that letter writing is a lost art. I try to print out special e-mails to save but it's just not the same as a good old handwritten letter. If you need an opening line to get you started, this is the one we all used back then...Dear Gram, How are you? I am fine....then it just went on from there...Love, Lisa
Go to Top of Page

Cheryl
True Blue Farmgirl

919 Posts

Cheryl
Magalia CA
USA
919 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2008 :  08:02:50 AM  Show Profile
I love writing letters. I have always loved paper and pens with different types of ink.

Cheryl, Farmgirl Sister #48
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2008 :  09:21:01 AM  Show Profile
Hi! Couldn't help but notice this topic. I love writing letters!! (Especially getting them.) There is nothing better than going to the post office, opening my box and finding an envelope addressed especially to me. (Not bill people either.!! BLEK!!!)I write to my aunt all the time and I love writing to different ones because its like a picture window in other peoples lives. Some days when mine seems humdrum, its great to read the excitings going on in the letter or to be comforted by the fact that humdrum is normal! :)
Anyone want a penpal...lol
hugs
Jessie

When life sends storms, remember to dance in the rain!

www.theSouthernBelle.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

BarnChickCecily
True Blue Farmgirl

673 Posts

Cecily
Corydon IN
USA
673 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2008 :  8:23:16 PM  Show Profile
Hey everyone, I have started an organized pen-pal forum under "Across the Fence." It is under the the topic "Pen-pals thru snail-mail." There are about 20 of us who already have pen-pals! It seems to be pretty successful so far... come on over and let me match you up with a pen-pal :O)
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2008 :  8:41:37 PM  Show Profile
Yes, I do--often. Mostly to my older relatives like my Aunt in Florida (she's 86) and my other older Aunt in Ohio. I enjoy it. I'm also going to be a penpal to our Melanie in PEI Canada :)

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

marmieto12
True Blue Farmgirl

213 Posts

laura
utah
USA
213 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2008 :  03:43:49 AM  Show Profile
Before internet, I wrote letters to Grandparents and a friend who was stationed in Germany with her husband. I so look forward to getting her letters. We called our letters "novels" as they would include all of our details of each day. We had our children close in proximity and shared on that. Her travels around Europe on the train, living on the "economy", washing diapers on the stove and shopping at the mkt each day for food was intriguing.After almost 33 years we are still friends!

Last summer we reminisced over the letters and how we looked forward to getting them. She lives approx 100 miles away now, so we do see each other. We email or call.

I signed up for my pen-pal "Across the Fence" that Cecily spoke of. I am looking forward to getting to know my pen pal. And I think I will start writing my dear friend too...

Laura;Dreaming of big girl farm...

Farmgirl # 148

http://lilsfamilyfarm.blogspot.com

Chapter http://justsimplythegirls.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

NadKnitBlog
True Blue Farmgirl

72 Posts

Nadine
Nalbach Saarland
Germany
72 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  02:43:11 AM  Show Profile  Send NadKnitBlog an AOL message
I love writing letters. I started with penpals when I was 11 or 12, hearing stories about my mum and her French pen pal... and many came and went but one dear friend, Anna, we've been writing long letters ever since we were 16- so half my life now! :)

Nadine is Farmgirl Sister #262 (the only one in Europe so far!) and she blogs at http://nadsknittingblog.blogspot.com/ and knits on Ravelry as Nadknitblog and on Plurk she is NadKnitBlog too!
Go to Top of Page

lacisne88
True Blue Farmgirl

1181 Posts

Chelsey
Lake Stevens Washington
USA
1181 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  12:23:04 PM  Show Profile
I am so happy this topic is up! Writing letters is so great! I love opening my mailbox to see a lovely letter handwritten inside! It is like receiving little presents in the mail. Letters take up more time to handwrite than simply whipping out an email and I would prefer a letter anyday.

I write to my great aunt in California and she always responds with wonderful cards and letters. My mother and I write while I am at college (even though it is only 30 minutes away from home)! She always fills her letters with great clippings of things she knows I will be interested in.

When I send letters, I love to decorate them and make them really special for the recipient. I wish more people wrote letters. I have actually been thinking about joing a penpal/penfriend organization. It would be fun to write letters more frequently!

Chelsey
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22896 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22896 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  2:59:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Chelsey-

You should email Meg (MaryJane's Daughter) at meg@maryjanesfarm.org and sign up for the Mail Art! What you described is exactly what Mail Art is about! If you go to the "Farmgirl Barter" section you'll see 80 some pages of chatter about it!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  4:18:45 PM  Show Profile
rarely write letters what with the fast connection and responses in 'cyber-space'. xo

True Friends * Frannie

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

lacisne88
True Blue Farmgirl

1181 Posts

Chelsey
Lake Stevens Washington
USA
1181 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  4:57:41 PM  Show Profile
Alee,

Thank you so much for the info! I emailed her right away. It sounds like a lot of fun and I can't wait! Have a great evening!

Chelsey
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22896 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22896 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  5:24:19 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That's great Chelsey! I will look forward to seeing you added to the list! :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

homemakerkate
True Blue Farmgirl

143 Posts

Kate
Ewen Michigan
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  7:16:29 PM  Show Profile
I love to write too. I love email but there is nothing quite like holding it in your hand.
Go to Top of Page

NadKnitBlog
True Blue Farmgirl

72 Posts

Nadine
Nalbach Saarland
Germany
72 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2008 :  03:06:00 AM  Show Profile  Send NadKnitBlog an AOL message
I like that emails can be sent instantly and without worrying about overseas postage- but it is just not the same. WHen I sit at the computer it is not the same as sitting at my desk, choosing paper, pen, lighting a candle and putting nice music on to get into that "writing zone".......

Nadine is Farmgirl Sister #262 (the only one in Europe so far!) and she blogs at http://nadsknittingblog.blogspot.com/ and knits on Ravelry as Nadknitblog and on Plurk she is NadKnitBlog too!
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2008 :  9:02:38 PM  Show Profile
Hand writing has become a lost art. I love to write long hand-written letters.
Marly
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22896 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22896 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2008 :  06:30:12 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I love to write letters- I just wish my handwriting was better! I have always struggled with my handwriting and of course once computers became popular, my hand writing sort of got stuck at the level it was at. I look at my mom and my grandma's beautiful handwriting and wish I could write like that. So I have been trying to write more letters and practice good handwriting.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Do you write letters? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page