jenbove

320 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2007 :  12:31:13 PM  Show Profile
Hi All -
Wanted to share my latest newspaper column with you since we're embarking on the shopping season...

From the Ground Up: Simple Steps to Natural Health
By Jennifer Bové

“Turning Away From Plastic Toys”

It's that time of year again. Television commercials are blaring carols to whet our appetites for seasonal spending, catalogs crowd our mailboxes, and the halls of Walmart are decked with brightly colored boxes of...whatever. When I was in Walmart today, I steered my 4-year-old clear of the toy aisles which have erupted with gaudy gadgets begging to be ridden, cuddled, primped, and played. Still, her eyes glazed over with stuff-lust. She saw a world of wonder, and I wondered how much of it was laced with toxins, courtesy of China. How many of the cute, colorful choo-choo trains are hiding illegally high levels of lead and cadmium in their pretty paint, threatening my children's' neurological development? How many contain substances like the date rape drug—or worse?

Perhaps even more troubling than the recent toxic toy recalls are the LEGAL toxins present in plastic toys. The United States is one of the few remaining developed countries to permit the import of plastic toys made with scary additives called phthalates. Phthalates, which help make toys soft and flexible, are banned in 14 nations and the European Union because a mounting body of scientific evidence suggests that phthalates interfere with the production of testosterone and disrupt the sexual development of infant boys. Researchers are saying that regular contact with phthalates (like touching, smelling, and chewing plastic toys ) may cause hormonal damage in young children and increase the chances of serious illness later in life.

Phthalates can make up as much as half of the material used to make many plastic toys, and they're even used to make baby teethers. In the average home, phthalates are everywhere—in shower curtains, shoes, raincoats, toothbrushes, backpacks, makeup bags, kitchen linoleum, and more. Any plastic that has that distinct “new” smell likely contains phthalates.

As of October, California became the first state in the nation to ban the sale of toys containing phthalates to kids under the age of 3. Lawmakers in Texas, Illinois, Florida, Massachusetts, Maryland, Washington, Maine, Connecticut, and New York are expected to introduce similar legislation in the coming months. Some progress is certainly better than none, but why wait for the government to regulate our purchasing options? We have the power to choose. This year, I refuse to buy any plastic toys that might contain phthalates, and I've requested that family members do the same. In doing so, we are not only safeguarding our kids, we are turning away from corporate America and seeking out smaller businesses who still care about quality and values. And we are buying gifts that can one day go back to the ground rather than littering a landfill.

Here are some plastic-proof toy ideas we've come up with:

-Wooden Planes, Trains, and Autos (look for solid wood toys with non-toxic paints and finishes).
-Cotton or Wool Stuffed Animals and Dolls
-Board Games (without a bunch of plastic parts)
-Non-toxic art supplies

And here are a few toys brands—even some plastics—that are phthalate-free:
Brio, Chicco, Early Start, Lego, Little Tykes, Primetime Playthings, Sassy, and Tiny Love

Happy and safe shopping!

Jen

Expedition Leader, MaryJanesOutpost
www.maryjanesoutpost.com

The View From My Boots
www.bovesboots.blogspot.com

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2007 :  12:53:09 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Jen - I know that "new plastic" smell that you're talking about, and I've always wondered what about it gives me headaches. Now I have a clue! I have two little boys, so you can bet it's gonna be a wood-filled holiday around here!!!

XOXO, Libbie

"Farmgirl Sister #10," and proud of it!!!
Go to Top of Page

Rebekka Mae
True Blue Farmgirl

965 Posts

Rebekka
Moscow ID
USA
965 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2007 :  1:41:08 PM  Show Profile
Jen-
Right on!!! I cannot stand plastic toys and my kids have VERY few (and nearly all were given to us secondhand by people who wanted them to have 'normal' toys and 'disappear' soon after they arrive). A few good sources for natural toys are- other farmgirls of course... many have etsy stores, Nova Naturals, A Child's Dream Come True, and A Toy Garden. Type any of those into google and see what I mean. The toys will cost more- but your kids don't need many when they are well made and open ended.
These businesses all pride themselves on knowing who made the items, often stay at home parents in the US- many conform to European safety standards where phalates have been banned for years and none have toxic finishes.
You can also type 'waldorf' into etsy's search engine to find natural fiber toys...
Warmly, Rebekka

www.bebebella.etsy.com

As a woman I have no country. As a woman, my country is the whole world.

Virginia Woolf
Go to Top of Page

jenbove

320 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2007 :  7:24:27 PM  Show Profile
I'm so glad you added farmgirl sources for natural toys, Rebekka. Quality is so much more important than quantity - something Americans seem to have forgotten, whether it's toys or food or shoes....and we farmgirls gotta stick together!

Your etsy site is lovely. I'm new to the whole etsy scene - what a cool idea! I'm off to check out the other sites you mentioned. Thanks!

Jen

www.maryjanesoutpost.com

The View From My Boots
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2007 :  8:17:45 PM  Show Profile
we really like OOmpa for natural toys.

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose

Blogs: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
http://womonandsprout.wordpress.com
http://youtube.com/profile?user=GaiasRose
Homepage:
http://ForestFaeries.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2007 :  4:42:54 PM  Show Profile
Oh boy!

And pppplease people, don't forget about your pets!!

I bought 2 dogs toys on impulse at Wal Mart the other day, got the toys home and looked at some of the metalic paint- then read the MADE IN CHINA logo.

OOPS!

Sadly, these will go into the trash. At only 98 cents it would cost more to drive back and ask for a refund.

So all dog toys now will be cloth.
Go to Top of Page

jenbove

320 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2007 :  7:08:34 PM  Show Profile
Absolutely, Anna! I won't even buy those Walmart "real" bones for my dogs. Who knows what they put on them? And rawhide is just bad, bad. Luckily, my dogs have deer bones to occupy them lately - fresh, natural, and good for them. You know what makes a great dog "bone"? Old jeans! You can cut/rip them into thick strips, braid them, and knot the ends real tight. Voila!

Jen

www.maryjanesoutpost.com

Farmgirl Sisterterhood Member # 9

The View From My Boots
Go to Top of Page

jenbove

320 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2007 :  7:19:42 PM  Show Profile
Another good wood toy catalog that specifies where each toy was made: Rosie Hippo www.rosiehippo.com

And don't underestimate the paper doll - my girls are getting some this Christmas! Their favorite toys to date have been the wooden stick horses I made them 3 years ago - never underestimate a child's imagination

Jen

www.maryjanesoutpost.com

The View From My Boots
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2007 :  03:25:09 AM  Show Profile
Jennifer

I haven't fed beef rawhide to my new pup sice we got her a year ago.

I have read that pig rawhide is better because it does not swell and is better digested.

Sadly though and again, the bad 'ole made in China surfaces on these too even though the hides have come from the U S ! Still can't find an all Americal source for these. So Jasmine only gets these on a limited basis.

Harper's carries all americal beef rawhide, but i'm steering away from those.

I get a thrill when we used to have 2 dogs and we fed them deer bones- raw of course. It's cool to watch you domestic pet revert back to its wild roots like that.

Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2007 :  07:01:36 AM  Show Profile
i just printed this up to pass around to my daughter and her young mom friends!! Thank you!!!

"No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars,or sailed to an uncharted land or opened a new heaven to the human spirit." Helen Keller
Go to Top of Page

jenbove

320 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2007 :  07:03:15 AM  Show Profile
I agree, Anna. In his later years, my ancient skin-and-bones cat Willy would attack deer carcasses like a lion. We have some great (if a bit gory) pictures of him gnawing away at rib cages - his wild cat soul totally fulfilled!

Jen

www.maryjanesoutpost.com

The View From My Boots
Go to Top of Page

shawna
True Blue Farmgirl

241 Posts

missouri (north)
241 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2007 :  12:37:09 PM  Show Profile
i was hoping to get more info on the plastic news, we don't like all the junk toys that one parent gives, if i had info, or web page to give to em to read, maybe they would listen.

xoxxo MERRY CHRISTMAS xoxxo
Go to Top of Page

jenbove

320 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2007 :  9:06:47 PM  Show Profile
I know how hard it can be - old dogs & new tricks. Here are a few web articles that might help:

A nationwide toxic toy ban likely to follow state lead
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2007/10/16/MNT0SQDJV.DTL

Calif. bans a chemical found in plastic toys
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21306498/

Toxic Toy Story
http://www.mothering.com/articles/growing_child/consumerism/toxic_toy_story.html

Jen

www.maryjanesoutpost.com

The View From My Boots
Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2007 :  09:07:32 AM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
Just food for thought- Being a very intense sports mom (or so I've been told) I thought to mention that sports equipment makes a great gift. A good old fashioned (have they really changed much in the last century?) basketball perhaps or football? Something to get them on their feet and moving. Or how about snow shoes or cross country? At the bus stop this morning I thought about making an ice castle with the kids. it takes a while to freeze all those "bricks" but it is such fun.

Looking for someting inside? How about some art supplies? We get my daughter some kind of art design every year. When I was but a wee thing, maybe 7 or 8, my parents bought me an idea book with over 200 craft ideas. By the time they woke up Christmas Mourn I had carved every bar of soap in the house into some kind of farm animal!

blessings
beth
~*~*~farmgirl sister #27~*~*~

I Can
beth@maryjanesfarm.org

Snowmen fall from heaven... unassembled.
~Author Unknown~

For the best in Holiday Gift Giving check out- http://products.maryjanesfarm.org/pfoshop/holiday_gift_ideas.asp
Go to Top of Page

jenbove

320 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2007 :  09:11:41 AM  Show Profile
Here are a few more online resources for facts about toy safety:

List of recalled toys from the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission: http://www.cpsc.gov

Toy Industry Association: http://www.toyassociation.org

The Consumer Action Guide to Toxic Chemicals in Toys: http://www.healthytoys.org

Yahoo Article: "Groups release guide to toxins in toys" http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071205/ap_on_bi_ge/apfn_toxic_toy_tests

Jen

www.maryjanesoutpost.com

The View From My Boots
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2007 :  03:38:06 AM  Show Profile
And ya know, you just can't beat a good 'ole fashioned book. It's not something kids really request, but if you know their interests, it helps.

I sure hope most of you moms out there still take time to read to your kids.

I remember my dad reading Star Wars to me waaay back in 1977!

I still get at least one new book for Christmas evey year
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2007 :  10:36:19 AM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
I knew that about plastics....I try to have as little as possible around me, and when I have kids for sure they will have wooden and yarn toys, with a few exceptions, but the chemicals really mess with your makeup (not your face kind ladies) :-p I got a hemp shower curtain 2 years ago and its great! I recommend switching that...simple change that can help!

**~~Farmgirl Sister #60~~**
"... to thine ownself be true."
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2007 :  9:14:48 PM  Show Profile
I switched my shower curtain too. Glad I did, my bathroom doesn't smell like plastic anymore.

Has anyone started to get rid of plastic food containers?

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2007 :  06:02:24 AM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
I've been wondering about plastic containers. I have several of the "Lock & Lock" brand w/recycle rating #5 & then the generic zip style storage bags. I know that #7 plastic is safe (next best product to glass) & all of my water bottles are #7, but the storage containers have me questioning their safety. Wouldn't that be a huge change in our world if women stood up to manufcturers & demanded only non-PCB containing storage containers. Hmmmmm...something to ponder.

.• ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.•´ .•´¨¨))
((¸¸.•´ ..• -:¦:- -:¦:- Chandra
-:¦:- ((¸¸.•´Farmgirl Sister #64

She considereth a field, and buyeth it; with the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard.
Proverbs 31:16
Go to Top of Page

shawna
True Blue Farmgirl

241 Posts

missouri (north)
241 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2007 :  07:00:57 AM  Show Profile
ok, Jen, i must say you have no clue how you are changing my life! sooo this might start to sound off, but hang in with me. (i usually am a little off!) so you all remember the high fructose corn syrup that Jen reported on, right? well we have been sticking to our guns about not bringing in ANY foods with this inged. no matter how much we love it! this includes ther hershey sryup that my husband dumps in his milk, so he came home with something diff. this has red 40 in it. i had heard this wea bad, ut needed to know why,,so off to the computer, were i first came to a goverment sight that assures me all there things are good for me, or at least not harmful. even a fresh strawberry is made up off chemical compounds. needless to say i went on to diff. site. okey- i'm getting to the point--- well red 40 started out being from coal tar, but now it is from petroleum!!! and this gets me to the plastic! the American Plastic Council calls plastic " an important part of your healthy diet, think of them as a food group." (because plastic tends to migrate into food) THIS got me to another web site that was talking about "DANGER IN PLASTIC BABY BOTTLES?" her study of rats that just drank water out of a used baby bottle were getting messed up. if they are going to mak baby bottles out of junk, do really think they give a hoot about toys???

www.mindfully.org
www.ecologycenter.org/erc/petroleum/body.html

xoxxo MERRY CHRISTMAS xoxxo
Go to Top of Page

jenbove

320 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2007 :  08:57:48 AM  Show Profile
Than you SO MUCH, Shawna - for making my day and for going a step further & finding even more good info for all of us. Can you BELIEVE the "plastic food group" business?! It's really just shameful.

About the plastic issue...Again, my preference is GLASS whenever possible. But, since plastic is almost unavoidable, here's the lowdown:

#1 Polyethylene terephthalate (PET or PETE) Used to make soft drink, water, sports drink, ketchup, and salad dressing bottles, and peanut butter, pickle, jelly and jam jars.

GOOD: Not known to leach any chemicals that are suspected of causing cancer or disrupting hormones.

#2 High density polyethylene (HDPE) Milk, water, and juice bottles, yogurt and margarine tubs, cereal box liners, and grocery, trash, and retail bags.

GOOD: Not known to leach any chemicals that are suspected of causing cancer or disrupting hormones.

#3 Polyvinyl chloride (V or PVC) Most cling-wrapped meats, cheeses, and other foods sold in delicatessens and groceries are wrapped in PVC.

BAD: To soften into its flexible form, manufacturers add “plasticizers” during production. Traces of these chemicals can leach out of PVC when in contact with foods. According to the National Institutes of Health, di-2-ethylhexyl phthalate (DEHP), commonly found in PVC, is a suspected human carcinogen.

#4 Low density polyethylene (LDPE) Some bread and frozen food bags and squeezable bottles.

OK: Not known to leach any chemicals that are suspected of causing cancer or disrupting hormones, but not as widely recycled as #1 or #2.

#5 Polypropylene (PP) Some ketchup bottles and yogurt and margarine tubs.

OK: Hazardous during production, but not known to leach any chemicals that are suspected of causing cancer or disrupting hormones. Not as widely recycled as #1 and #2.

#6 Polystyrene (PS) Foam insulation and also for hard applications (e.g. cups, some toys)

BAD: Benzene (material used in production) is a known human carcinogen. Butadiene and styrene (the basic building block of the plastic) are suspected carcinogens. Energy intensive and poor recycling.

#7 Other (usually polycarbonate) Baby bottles, microwave ovenware, eating utensils, plastic coating for metal cans

BAD: Made with biphenyl-A, a chemical invented in the 1930s in search for synthetic estrogens. A hormone disruptor. Simulates the action of estrogen when tested in human breast cancer studies. Can leach into food as product ages.

Source http://www.care2.com/greenliving/which-plastics-are-safe.html

Jen

www.maryjanesoutpost.com

The View From My Boots

Edited by - jenbove on Dec 09 2007 09:05:01 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Plastic Toy Protest Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly