Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Official Farmgirl Sisterhood Members
 NEWS!!! Official Farmgirl Logo
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Official Farmgirl Sisterhood Members: Previous Topic NEWS!!! Official Farmgirl Logo Next Topic
Page: of 4

Sunny
True Blue Farmgirl

120 Posts

120 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2007 :  2:17:37 PM  Show Profile
The New & Official “Farmgirl" Logo

What is a farmgirl? To quote the back of our Farmgirl Chapter information cards, “A farmgirl believes in the strong arms of friendship, community, and the just plain fun of being together. A farmgirl takes joy in the quiet satisfaction of making things with her own hands. She exudes kindness, grace, humility, gentleness, patience, and generosity, and loves the simple pleasures in life. Farmgirls love to get together to share their ideas.”

The Farmgirl Chapter movement is growing so fast that MaryJane realized we needed to have an easy-to-identify logo that would stand for all farmgirls. Logos, once publicized, convey ideas and feelings instantly. I suggested a hen in an apron as the official farmgirl logo, and these were the supporting themes that grew from that idea.

Do you remember the classic children’s story, “The Little Red Hen”? That hen was a “can do” kind of gal (just like us farmgirls)! She wanted bread and asked which of the farm animals might want to help. The other animals weren’t at all motivated to help, so she planted and harvested the wheat, ground it into flour, and baked the bread, all by herself. The other animals were quite happy to help her eat it, but she flatly declined THAT offer!

The old business model at the end of the last millennium seems to have been: “What’s in it for me?” (aka WIFM). The farm animals in the story really didn’t see any benefit to helping the little red hen with the work. (Maybe they had never tasted fresh home-baked bread!!!)

This new millennium needs a new, more sustainable model, which I’ve dubbed WIFU: “What’s in it for us?” When we start thinking beyond our own needs to the needs of the whole community, everyone’s life gets easier and everyone gets happier.

Using that new model, the little red hen would let the other animals taste how delicious the fresh bread was, to inspire them to want to learn how to work together next time. It certainly gets the job done faster and more pleasantly in the company of others.

Recent polls show that many people want to become more self-sufficient, to eat locally grown food, and to create more sustainable communities to save the resources of the earth, but they don’t know where to begin. The problems seem so overwhelming. What can one person do? (This is where a farmgirl’s “can do” attitude comes in!)

Farmgirls love to share their knowledge to teach and inspire others, who can then teach and inspire others, and so on. Small acts of kindness and interdependence, like pebbles tossed into a still pond, ripple out into the world to make big differences. The way I see it, to create more sustainable communities, we need to help and teach one another. In other words, the hen is mightier than the sword!

The hen is a model of sustainability. She provides eggs and nitrogen-rich fertilizer without depleting the source (a rule for sustainability). She is a model of fearlessness and strength, as she demonstrates by gathering her chicks under her wing when danger threatens. Or when she “speaks” danger to others of her flock using an elaborate language more complicated than that of primates. Flocks of chickens gathering to search for food or bask in the sun love to brag loudly the accomplishments (eggs laid) of their sisters.

The apron-dressed hen logo symbolizes that we farmgirls are always hatching new ideas; we are independent, but we also enjoy flocking together occasionally to cluck encouragement to each other, or to cackle and “cluckle” over a good joke. (Farmgirls of all ages enjoy having a good time! Very young farmgirls can be called “farmerettes.” After a certain age, we become really wise {you know what I mean} and reach “henopause.”)

The new logo of the hen in an apron will be embroidered into a standard-size patch (like a grown-up Girl Scout badge) to represent that we are FARMGIRLS, and proud of it! Other patches can be designed to represent our individual chapters and our accomplishments. These patches can be sewn onto our denim jackets. Our jackets can be showplaces for our Farmgirl Accomplishment Patches. Our gathering-together dress-up clothing can be our decorated denim jackets with our favorite aprons (and maybe a pair of work boots)!

The official MaryJane Farmgirl Accomplishment Patches will always be in the shape of a hexagon to distinguish us from other types of patches on jackets. Why a hexagon? In MaryJane’s Stitching Room, MaryJane says, “The hexagon, a shape that speaks the zen of the busy beehive or the wire manors of chickens, symbolizes the unity and structure of the farmgirl life—a framework for the proper order of things, a pattern for life. In unwritten feminine language, it is a standard for farmgirls, or for that matter the ordinary honeybee or the hen, rank and file workers that move the work along. It says that all things are to be done decently and in order, and that small things add up.” These hexagon-shaped patches also represent our honor for the individuality of each farmgirl, who, like hexagonally shaped snowflakes with “no two alike,” will stamp their farmgirl projects with their own brand of uniqueness and creativity to inspire others.

For example, when a farmgirl plants her first organic garden, crochets her first item, completes her first building project, cans her first fruits, etc., embroidered hexagonally shaped Accomplishment Patches will be earned to sew onto her denim jacket to be worn with pride. Farmgirls participating in community projects that help to bring sunshine into the lives of others will earn a patch with a sunflower on it. (Chapter Leaders will also have their own unique patches, as will each chapter.) When a Farmgirl begins (or “hatches”) a business that becomes self-supporting, she is “feathering her own nest,” so she will earn the “Golden Egg” patch. The Farmgirl Chapter movement is a wonderful network for sharing expertise with each other, business and otherwise. Imagine the fashion statement and new conversations these jackets of many colors will start!

Our Farmgirl Chapter Coordinators can be like the Mother (Superior) Hen, keeping the Sisterhood of Apron-Wearing Hens (aka Chapter Leaders) supplied with resources, project ideas, and newsletters to help them grow their chapters and inspire new farmgirl members.

And, finally, MaryJane can be like the Queen Bee, creating a busy beehive of ideas to pollinate and sweeten the world. (Honeybees, like hens, are a very productive part of any farm.) Like other organic things, these concepts will grow and evolve with the cross-pollination of ideas from farmgirls everywhere!

To paraphrase the saying “Give a man a fish …,” I say, “Give a girl an egg, and she can do lots of things; but teach her how to raise chickens, and she becomes a farmgirl!”

Today, it is official. (Farmgirls don’t waste any time, once a decision is made.) The new logo for the Farmgirl Sisterhood is a hen dressed in an apron.

Farmgirls are on the move, so get ready! The hexagonal logo of a hen wearing an apron will “bee-come” a gentle and playful, but powerful, symbol!

P.S. Janet from Kentucky has already started programming our hen emblem into her embroidery machine to create a patch. Stay tuned!

britchickny
True Blue Farmgirl

1048 Posts

Angie
Port Orange Florida
1048 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2007 :  2:40:31 PM  Show Profile
What a great idea! Just imagine if all the chapters had their own patches! Could we trade? Earn?(like Girl Scouts)How much fun would this be!
Can't wait for the latest updates!
Angie.

"Mercy, peace and love be yours in abundance" JUDE 1:2
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2007 :  2:53:55 PM  Show Profile
Sunny- That's just awesome!! I love the descriptions. Perfect. Can't wait to earn my first patch!! :)

Karin

Wherever you go, there you are.

Come visit me at:
www.madrekarin.etsy.com

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2007 :  2:54:44 PM  Show Profile
I love this and thank each and everyone who particapated in this. That was the most encouraging thing to read today.
Thanks Carol Sue

Enjoying life.
Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2007 :  2:57:41 PM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
Fantastic- So happy to see us united with such a great patch- and what a great way to have a chance meeting with other farmgirls by an identifying patch. You never know when you might run into each other and this way we won't miss meeting up!

Perfect Perfect Perfect!

blessings
beth
Go to Top of Page

UrbanChick
True Blue Farmgirl

331 Posts

Ayako
Atlanta GA
USA
331 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2007 :  3:02:48 PM  Show Profile
Oh good. I have embroidery software too to make custom logos but I"m not that proficient at it. I'll try to get the emblem out in the embroidery machine to when I have a chance.
Janet- I have Artista software what are you using? I'm going to try this weekend when I get a chance!

"Courage dosen't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying: I will try again tomorrow."
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2007 :  3:15:31 PM  Show Profile
What a great idea. When can we get one? where? How? Do the chapter leaders hand them out? Can we earn others or what? MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2007 :  3:19:14 PM  Show Profile
I love it!!! What a fun and perfect idea for our sisterhood..just perfect. Henopause dosn't sound nearly as bad as menopause either..haha..
I can hardly wait to hear more and to be able to have that denim jacket to collect patches on!! How fun and cute is THAT????

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Cheryl
True Blue Farmgirl

919 Posts

Cheryl
Magalia CA
USA
919 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2007 :  4:16:33 PM  Show Profile
I love the idea and the logo!
Cheryl

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Go to Top of Page

Kathie
True Blue Farmgirl

2436 Posts

Kathie
Thonotosassa Florida
USA
2436 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2007 :  5:05:32 PM  Show Profile
Perfect!

All just PERFECT ideas!!

In a World Where you Can Be Anything, Be Yourself..
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2007 :  5:54:17 PM  Show Profile
I love it! What a fabulous idea!

Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
BLOG
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2007 :  7:27:37 PM  Show Profile
Way cool!

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2007 :  09:33:26 AM  Show Profile
I am in, too! Are the things we are already doing going to "grandfather" us in to certain patches when they are available? :)

Another great idea from MJF!

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2007 :  10:04:38 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Love the logo! In fact, when I walked to a thrift store on lunch today, I found/bought a tiny porcelain hen and her rooster - LOL-I feel a hen collection coming on! :D

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2007 :  10:58:48 AM  Show Profile
LOVE IT and with an apron on too!!

G

http://auntgeorgeshouse.blogspot.com/index.html
http://thefabricho.blogspot.com/
http://auntgeorge.etsy.com

"Made With Love"
Go to Top of Page

Leezard
True Blue Farmgirl

950 Posts

Elizabeth
Novi MI
USA
950 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2007 :  11:31:19 AM  Show Profile
What a fun idea! Looking forward to seeing how this plays out :)

http://ruby--slippers.blogspot.com/
www.leezard.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

chessie
True Blue Farmgirl

403 Posts

Karen
Vista CA
USA
403 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2007 :  11:50:59 AM  Show Profile
oh my, i love it! Great Job Sunny and all MJF farmerettes. Cheers, Karen
Ps, hi Sunny from california karen. Maybe you remember inspriring me to write a kids story about my bunny & I am still working on my first children's book - you'll get first copy if i get it finished! -ke

www.edgehillherbfarm.com "where the name is bigger than the farm, but no one seems to mind"
Go to Top of Page

Sunny
True Blue Farmgirl

120 Posts

120 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2007 :  12:20:07 PM  Show Profile
Hi Everyone!

It is so great to read all of your positive feedback!!! Thank you so much for your enthusiasm! I can't wait to see how it will all evolve...it's going to be so GREAT!!!!

Chapters can start figuring out what they want "their" patches to look like. And then, there's the thinking about the Accomplishment Patches! Let the ideas and doodling begin!

Next fourth of July, we're working on the logistics for having our Farm Fair in Oakesdale, WA to showcase and benefit the historic flour mill that MaryJane owns there. If it all works out (and I sure hope it does), we can have that be a Farmgirl Chapter event, as well. The Chapter jackets could be really decorated by then!

Have fun, 'cuz that's what farmgirls do while they're getting all their work done!

Smiles and blue skies,

~Sunny
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2007 :  3:09:50 PM  Show Profile
This is absolutely incredible! I LOVE it! I really like what everything "stands for," and WOW - patches and Chapter jackets! Such a cool idea. I can't wait until next July 4th, either...YAY!!! So, what do you all think that YOUR chapter accomplishment badges should look like?

XOXO, Libbie

Edited by - Libbie on Sep 13 2007 08:37:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2007 :  09:44:35 AM  Show Profile
Love it!! And I especially love the idea of patches for our different Farmgirl chapters and accomplishments. Any thoughts on a bumper sticker or window decal of our new logo?? Our chapter needs to get busy designing our new logo!

http://therusticcottage.wordpress.com

Visit my Etsy Shop! http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

Edited by - therusticcottage on Sep 13 2007 09:46:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22896 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22896 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2007 :  10:33:21 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I love the new logo! It would be so much fun to sew that on to a hoodie sweatshirt or onto a backpack for school or even onto a new apron!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2007 :  2:40:01 PM  Show Profile
Absolutely perfect. Can't wait to earn some. (Any chance we can get credit for things we've already done in the group?)

thanks for telling and showing, Sunny!

Farmgirl hug,
Patricia

check out my etsy site http://ThePlayfulFarmgirl.etsy.com

Take me home, country roads
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2007 :  4:26:16 PM  Show Profile
I went online yesterday and found a really cute plus size denim jacket! It's hard to find them in plus size that look like the regular denim jackets. Usually they look like a coat. And this was only $39.99! I'm ordering it soon.

http://therusticcottage.wordpress.com

Visit my Etsy Shop! http://therusticcottage.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2007 :  11:18:10 PM  Show Profile
Okay Kay...give up the web address...I must see it. I have been wanting to find a cute denim jacket..and I would need plus size too...

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

NotQuiteJuneCleaver
True Blue Farmgirl

222 Posts

Susan
Shreveport LA
USA
222 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2007 :  4:17:29 PM  Show Profile
How ADORABLE! I had just looked at Julie Bell's tablecloth and saw the hen with apron circle...is that where you got the idea??? It is just perfect!

http://www.notquitejunecleaver.com
There is immeasurable value in what I do. I won't ever believe otherwise.
Go to Top of Page

Photobugs
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Pamela
Post Falls Idaho
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2007 :  8:57:55 PM  Show Profile
Looking forward to more updates on this ingenious idea!
I already have a few chickens I've collected over the years, maybe I'll need to make them aprons!

Pamela

http://homesteadmercantile.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Official Farmgirl Sisterhood Members: Previous Topic NEWS!!! Official Farmgirl Logo Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page