KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2007 :  08:09:06 AM  Show Profile
Anyone ever used a Pet sitter while on vacation? We have 4 dogs, and three cats, and usually, if we go somewhere, my mom looks in on everyone. This time, we're going on vacation WITH my mom, so that's not possible. In the past, I've used this wonderful kennel several miles away, but this year, we have Daisy, and I'm concerned that she will feel abandoned again, and her "shelter" experience was less than stellar--kennels are noisy and stressful, and she'll be separated from her "brothers and sisters" who she's soooo attached to. She's older, and very attached to us, also. Additionally, WE gave our own vaccinations this year, including rabies, so the "proof" that kennels often require just isn't there. Also, I really can't justify a kennel cough vaccination--that would be $20 a piece, plus the vet visit.

Anyway, anyone ever utilized a pet sitter, I'd like your thoughts. It seems like a no brainer to me, but....always open to ideas.

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2007 :  08:27:09 AM  Show Profile
Jonni, I use pet sitters every time. Kennels are hard, cold, most have no feeling toward your "baby" at all, Other animals may not like yours, plus the abandanment issue. It's all too much stress for your babies to go through. If you use a pet sitter, at least your babies stay at home where they are comfortable and feel safe. They will be anxious about you not being there at night, but not nearly as anxious as they would be in a kennel.

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/

We come from Nature, we go back to Nature; health & happiness in between requires intimacy with Nature.
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2007 :  08:31:52 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Lisa--
Our kennel that we use is small (6) runs, and the gal is great--when I worked at the shelter, she helped foster a lot of dogs, and it looks like a little doll house, but again, I'm really concerned about Daisy, and even though the other three love to go to April's, after we pull away, she says that Rose, our German Shepherd, tries to climb up and out of the kennel to chase the car. When we return, our Finn is very clingy, he is all the time, but more so after the kennel.

Do you mind my asking--I realize that we live in separate places--what do you typically pay for your petsitter visits. She was only going to charge $50.00 for two visits per day. That's $350, for all 7 pets, not just $275 for the four dogs that I would pay at the kennel....

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2007 :  08:50:43 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I have done pet sitting in the past where I even stayed at the people's house. That way there is someone there like the pets are used to, no kennel smell in their coats, less stress for everyone, plus the plants get watered, mail gets taken in, and it doesn't look like the house is empty while you are on vacation. I also would give the dogs a good grooming (bath and brush) before their "parents" got home. Most people don't have the time or energy to bath their pets so it is always a nice treat to come home to a clean pet.

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2007 :  08:59:50 AM  Show Profile
Hey Alee, bring the baby and the hubby and that $350 can be yours!

I'd certainly appreciate a clean dog when I got home from vacation--I'll have to wash them BEFORE we go, because our Finn is sooo into dirt, and it's been really dry, so his elephant like dirt-baths have gone into overdrive!!!!

Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2007 :  09:06:55 AM  Show Profile
Jonni, I usually paid $20 a day for 2 visits each day. But I live in a poor town and prices (as well as wages) are pretty low for everything. Considering you have 7 babies, $50/day sounds good.

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/

We come from Nature, we go back to Nature; health & happiness in between requires intimacy with Nature.
Go to Top of Page

janetinva123
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Janet
newport news va
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2007 :  09:28:42 AM  Show Profile
I pet set for a lady in my neighborhood. She has a large lab. I charge $2 a walk $1 for feeding and $1 for anything else I do. I don't charge near enough but I enjoy doing it.

Jc
http://beloved-creations.blogspot.com
http://beloved-creations.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2007 :  12:13:22 PM  Show Profile
I use a friend of mine to pet sit three of my dogs but I have one I always send to the kennel because she gets nervose around people. Our kennel is also the vet so I feel like they take goo care of her. If you get a pet sitter I would NOT reccommend a kid. Get an adult whom you trust that will also be able to make decisions or transport the animal to a vet if something happend. I would pay at LEAST 30$ a day and probably more since they are caring for 7 animals. My vet charges 10$ per day per animal.

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Mnhorsemom
Farmgirl in Training

44 Posts

Kathy
Battle Lake minnesota
USA
44 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2007 :  2:39:09 PM  Show Profile
When DH and I go on vacation we try to find someone to come stay at the house. We have 3 dogs, 2 cats and 5 horses. I usually pay the person $150 a week to stay at the house but we leave groceries etc for him. It works out well and it actually takes less than an hour a day to take care of the crew so it's not like we take up his whole day.

Farm House Formulas Battle Lake, MN
Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2007 :  6:16:03 PM  Show Profile
Jonni, I have used a pet sitter several times with my group. The last time we went away for 3-4 days and we had 8 dogs, 2 cats, fish tank, and a Guinea Pig - oh yes, one mother dog had a litter of 5 babies that were 3 weeks old and I felt completely relaxed with her caring for the babies too. Before that time, I had never left puppies of "any age" alone with anyone but me since I breed dogs. I had the sitter come out 3x a day, I could reach her by cell at anytime, and she kept a daily journal of what each animal did that day when she visited. Her price (3 years ago) was $15 per visit and she was worth every penny ; ) I had a great, but short vacation too. In my opinion, when you have more than three dogs or animals, a sitter is the better way to go and cost effective too.

Tina

The dogs own the house but the people pay the mortgage!
www.kennelcreations.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2007 :  7:09:46 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I would love to come! Pay my traveling expenses and I'm yours! LOL

One time I was pet sitting as while I was upstairs showering the two (geriatric) dogs got in a fight. The one literally was trying to kill the other. I ended up having to take them to the vet and the bill was well over $250. Poor old dogs. I found out that the one that was the attacker did finally manage to get kill his "brother" this winter. It's really sad and they ended up having to put the attacker to sleep. I loved both of those dogs like my own. You get really attached to them when you pet sit.

So I guess the moral of my story is- make sure your sitter knows which vet to take them to incase of emergency and have a plan with your vet to be billed or have them hold the bill. I ended up having to take Jake and Satchel to my vet, because Jake and Satchel's normal vet wanted me to pay upfront. Considering I was only charging $100 for two weeks it just wasn't going to be feasible.

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2007 :  7:34:47 PM  Show Profile
I always have a pet sitter come by a couple times a day. Our thing is different..we don't travel much except when Mona is dry, but I do have an emergency backup person to help milk if needed (havn't had to use her yet) I trade doing chores with a good friend who has lots of milk goats..I milk for her when needed, and feed her other animals and she does the same for me..it works out great. I always feel like all the critters....especailly my old dogs..love to be at home. I make 3 copies of a very very detailed list every single time with emergency numbers, numbers where I can be reached, prefered vet numbers and help if they can't come for some reason. My husband thinks I go way overboard with the lists...I laminate them and post one in the barn, put one on the kitchen table and give the other to my pet sitter. I usually have at least one other friend drop by every day at some point to check and make sure everything is okay.
I need to make a new chore list for the barn..the old one from April when we went on vacation is still posted out there and with Mona in milk now it is different. It helps to have that out there even if my husband helps.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2007 :  03:12:06 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, girls. There are a couple of petsitters in our area, 2 that state they are bonded and insured and the other two don't...maybe they just couldn't afford that in their ad. I've been in touch with all of them, and I realize it's the vacation season, but the one lady hasn't called me back and it's been 2 days already...I left both work and home. I'm guessing she's too busy to fit me in :) But, I realize that I'm also a control freak and like to have everything in order well in advance.

I appreciate, too, all of the "to do's"...I'll definitely leave my vet and contact info where we can be reached--Jenny, you and I are cut of the same cloth, I tell you! If I had my own laminator, I'd laminate all my lists, but as it stands, I just type them on the computer and make them look pretty...and then leave them all over the house!!!! I probably won't know what to do with myself on this vacation--it's the first one we've had since we were married. I just don't "break" well...

I agree that it's cost effective, too--when comparing the base kennel cost alone, + someone to check in on the cats for 7 days, + bordatella shots for everyone ($120) and, if need be, shots again because we gave our own and the kennel might not take that ($400), $350 looks pretty darn good!!!!

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Pet Sitters or Kennel Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page