Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Try This
 The only home remedy I know: removing splinters
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Try This: Previous Topic The only home remedy I know: removing splinters Next Topic  

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2005 :  08:04:17 AM  Show Profile
I don't know where this came from, but the school nurse taught me this when I had a particularly nasty splinter in my finger when I was in the second grade.

Take a potato and peel it past the peel, so you have a white potato peeling. Put the peeling on the splinter and put a band-aid over it. Leave it for a few hours. When you take the band aid off, give the splinter a squeeze and it should pop right out.

Works like a charm.

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2005 :  08:16:45 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for the suggestion! I shall have to try that next time!

Ciao

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2005 :  4:20:35 PM  Show Profile
Scotch tape works wonders too for those little bitty ones

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

WisGal35
True Blue Farmgirl

99 Posts

Cathy
Kenosha County WI
USA
99 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2005 :  4:29:19 PM  Show Profile
These are great ideas. I'll be sure to try. We get all sorts of hay splinters.

My dad & my grandpa used to do nightly splinter checks on all the kids after a day at the lake at grandpa's lake house. Any splinters were promptly operated on with pocketknives!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2005 :  4:47:06 PM  Show Profile
I have used elmers glue on hay splinters too...just a thin coat..let it dry and rip it off and the splinters come with it.
I will have to try to potato one too..never heard that one before..I wonder what the potato peeling does? Interesting!! I have got some that wern't really deep out by scraping across them with a credit card too...but I seem to get the dreaded hay splinters most of all!!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2005 :  4:51:11 PM  Show Profile
I think the potato works because potatoes are sort of "wet" - it probably puffs up your finger so the splinter works itself out, sort of like soaking it.

Cecelia

ce's farm

"Curiosity is one of the forms of feminine bravery" Victor Hugo
Go to Top of Page

farmgirlkate
True Blue Farmgirl

167 Posts

kate
bryan TX
USA
167 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2008 :  6:47:41 PM  Show Profile
one of the tricks I learned (the hard way) out in west texas was good ol elmers school glue. when I got in cactus or got splinters from the barn, I would smear the area with a nice thick slather of elmers and let it dry. later I would pick at it and peel the 'skin' off (anyone do that in kindergarten?)-it took the splinters and cactus thorns with it.
Also I had one of my friends that works with glass use this and she said it took all the tiny glass splinters out the first time. Sometimes all you really needed to know about life does come from kindergarten!

"You only have what you give...""
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2008 :  07:38:14 AM  Show Profile
My son had a splinter that got infected when he was around three. He refused to soak it, let the doctor touch it, etc. I just happened to read an article in Smithsonian magazine that told of all the medicinal uses the Chinese have for honey. It is good for burns too, well I wrapped up that finger with a gauze pad with a big dollop of honey and sure enough, the next morning the infection was gone and the splinter came out easily. I never heard the potato one, and I live in Maine! Someone has been hiding these special techniques. Both my parents were artists, and I can remember cleaning the surface of old dirty oil paintings with potato slices. Another useless bit of information, that is my specialty.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

AuntPammy
True Blue Farmgirl

488 Posts

Pamila
williamstown wv
USA
488 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2008 :  07:54:35 AM  Show Profile  Click to see AuntPammy's MSN Messenger address
My mom use to put a piece of fatty bacon on the splintered area and wrap with a cloth, leave on overnite and just like magic the splinters would have made their way out. Sounds weird I know, but it would work.

Let's dance in the rain and play in the puddles under the rainbows.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2008 :  08:06:29 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Okay Karin- you have me intrigued...what does a potato do for oil paintings?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2008 :  08:20:30 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Yes, Karin - do you wipe it with a cloth afterward, or just wipe it with a potato slice?

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2008 :  3:06:11 PM  Show Profile
My dad always put iodine on our splinters and before we knew it the splinter had come out of our skin far enough to be pulled out with tweezers. Still works today for all of us here! Susan
Go to Top of Page

Shi-anne
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Cheryl
Ada OK
USA
596 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2008 :  2:31:04 PM  Show Profile
I think what the potato does for the splinter, is pull it toward the surface as the potato skin begins to dry. When we were little, that is what mom used for pinkeye. Grate a potato and make a little patch with gauze and place over the infected eye for a few hours. As the potato dried it would also pull the infection out.

Farmgirls don't have hot flashes ~ They have power surges!
Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2008 :  11:42:50 AM  Show Profile
I've heard that the same remedy works when you burn your finger in the kitchen, too. I've heard the potato "draws out" the burn. It'll still sting but won't blister.
Go to Top of Page

country lawyer
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

1022 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2008 :  07:57:14 AM  Show Profile
I wish I had seen this last week. My daughter had an itty-bitty splinter that I had such a hard time getting out. It was painful for both of us. I'll remember the potato remedy and the glue too! Much better than the old needle method I used.
Go to Top of Page

Grandma Mar
Farmgirl in Training

36 Posts

Marlene
Bolingbrook IL
USA
36 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2009 :  1:10:44 PM  Show Profile
Karin, I'm another one who'd like to know about using a potato on oil paintings. How? Do you use anything else afterwards? Please explain further. I have a few paintings I'd like to clean, and if a potato could do the trick, it'd be great. :-)

Mend and make do. - Old English Proverb
Go to Top of Page
  Try This: Previous Topic The only home remedy I know: removing splinters Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page