Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Sizzix or cuttlebug for fabric?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Sizzix or cuttlebug for fabric? Next Topic  

horseychick
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Melanie
Clarkston MI
USA
140 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2010 :  06:02:42 AM  Show Profile
I am pondering buying one of those cutting machines for fabric. Do any of the die cutters cut fabric shapes? I think I heard that one of them does but which one and how well does it cut since it is a paper cutter?

melanie

Farmgirl Sister #1706 You can take the girl out of the country but her soul will bring her back.-mlp

www.thestitchincoop.etsy.com
www.ThePatternShack.etsy.com

urban chickie
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Catherine
Niles IL
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2010 :  07:29:37 AM  Show Profile
Some folk will use the cricut to cut fabric, though it's not made to do so. You cannot use detailed cuts, and you need to stiffen the fabric with interfacing or starch of some kind, according to what I have read. Folk have various degrees of success with this. Also, the type of fabric used is usually calico. The cricuts are electronic die cutters though, and cost a lot more than the mechanical ones like sizzex or cuttlebug. For the same $$ you can get an accu-quilt made for die cutting fabric, but they are pricy! I have a cuttlebug - it works exactly the same as the sizzex machines - and it doesn't cut fabric. HTH!

Catherine
Farmgirl #1370
City Girl By Birth,
Suburbanite By Location,
Farmgirl at Heart
Go to Top of Page

horseychick
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Melanie
Clarkston MI
USA
140 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2010 :  10:27:02 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the reply Catherine. I looked up the accu-quilt because I thought it was mostly for cutting quilt pieces. They do have some other dies of flowers, fall items etc. Apparently they are adding more "shape" dies. I'll sit tight and see what else they come up with. I thought that if some of the other machines cut fabric I could get a used one on Craigs list. I don't know. Sounds like it could get frustrating trying to cut fabric with them though. Maybe I'm better off with scissors and a pattern until they perfect a fabric cutter!

Anyone else out there have good luck with any of the paper cutters cutting fabric?

Farmgirl Sister #1706 You can take the girl out of the country but her soul will bring her back.-mlp

www.thestitchincoop.etsy.com
www.ThePatternShack.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Sizzix or cuttlebug for fabric? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page